UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2017, 10:24 pm   #1
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Siemens Turnier RK30

This set has been under my bench for ages now. It's one of those radios you feel sorry for and then wonder why you ever bought.

While not uncommon in Germany, these are not often seen over here so I thought I'd share some photos. It's a MW/LW/VHF set, some had AF116 in but this one has OC170. As you can read over at Radio Museum, these had a dedicated car fitting kit made for them. I've included a photo of the socket below.

Inside it's had some severe battery leakage which has corroded the terminals for the torch batteries, in fact they're pretty dangerous being rusty and sharp and there are multiple areas of corrosion from the leakage around the chassis. I think it's been dropped as there were some broken bits of plastic inside along with some screws. Outside it's missing the handle and the sagging covering, which should be a cream bordering on white, is generally vile.

Good points are, with the exception of the carrying handle, it's all there. VHF aerial is fine. There is a second connection for a PP9 as well as torch batteries.

Does it work? No. To be truthful I have been on the verge of scrapping it for the last couple of weeks but just can't bring myself to wreck a 55 year old radio. So it may after all, get fixed. And bleached.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	153378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens02.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	153379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens03.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	153380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens04.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	153381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens05.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	153382  

Old 4th Dec 2017, 10:58 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Siemens Turnier RK30

Andrew, I'm sure you are aware that the OC170 is essentially the same transistor as the AF116. Mullard used a numbering system in the 60s/early 70s in which diodes were OA and Transistors were OC. This was replaced with the Pro-Electron Code in the 70s, in which AA were diodes, AC AF Transistors, AD Power Transistors, and AF RF Transistors (all Germanium of course. Whilst I have seen and repaired many radios with OC44/45/71/81,etc., I have never come across a commercially made radio with OC170/171s, although years ago I did use them in home-built sets.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 11:56 pm   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

Thanks, yes I was aware. The circuit diagram lists AF116 that was all. These particular OC170 are stamped 'Valvo', obviously Valvo being Philips owned they could be Mullards.

Andrew
Old 5th Dec 2017, 2:26 pm   #4
Silicon
Nonode

The OC171 was used in the Eddystone EC10, EC35 and EC36 receivers.
Closed Thread