UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2017, 8:37 am   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Marantz SD385

Good morning, I am trying to find a service manual for the Marantz SD380 cassette deck, just rebelted one and I have no playback on deck two. I thought I may have damaged a leaf switch as I was reassembling but they seem ok, there are 6 of them but they all switch OK when the various parts operate them. It's a puzzle because before it was belted both decks were functioning. I can't suss out what how the machine decides which deck to switch in for playback (signal wise). All the mechanical functions are correct. IE, auto reverse, auto play from deck a-b, fast dubbing. But with a manual I could suss it, thank you.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 10:14 am   #2
tri-comp
Heptode

Default Re: Marantz SD380

Could you possibly check that type-no. again, please ?
I don't know that number,
My electronic parts supplier doesn't know it,
and worst of all, Google is at a loss.
Possibly post a picture of the dual-cassette to help identifying it.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 10:15 am   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: Marantz SD380

Sorry, 385, I'm usually accurate re models, cheers.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 4:41 pm   #4
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Marantz SD385

I think that model is similar to the 285 model that I posted a thread on in this section.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 7:45 pm   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Thanks, I was told the same, I'll look.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 7:58 pm   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

Well Grubhead, A Yorkshire man eh? so am I, originally, just a different part, Huddersfield. Anyway, back to the Marantz, I had gone as far with the scope as I could without a manual, It's not the heads or alignment, there was plenty of audio going into the main board. And the audio that was there was crisp, also with the heads unplugged there was nothing like the normal amp noise you hear when you up the volume on deck B. I think the PDF will sort it, the bit that threw me I was sure both decks worked (signal wise) before I rebelted it. The kit cost me 25 quid, so I can't sling it, you know how tight we Yorkshire folk are. On a final note, do you remember Crazy Daisies in Sheffield, used to go every week from Huddersfield. Anyway cheers, will look at PDF
Old 11th Mar 2017, 8:46 pm   #7
Grubhead
Heptode

If it is like the 285 circuit wise there should be a UPC 1228 chip as the pre-amp for deck II. Check pin 4 to see if it gets 9 volts. If it doesn't it might be caused by the 100uf cap that feeds it.
There are on the 285 some leaf switches right under the deck that switch the audio on or off keep your eyes peeled for them.

I have heard of that club, but have never been in it.
My real name is Graham, but that would confuse people with the other Graham on the site so I don't use it on here.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 8:47 pm   #8
toshiba tony
Heptode

My scope is at work and I'm home for the weekend, but even with no tapes inserted, when play is pressed on deck b there isn't the characterisic hiss that you should hear. I have a meter here and on P4 the "play" switch remains o\c whichever function I select. This PDF is certainly a big help but I feel there are discrete differences. P4 on mine has 10 pins to it. Did you sort your's Grubscrew?
Mine is deck b that is faulty, but I'll suss it, take care and thanks again.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 9:40 pm   #9
toshiba tony
Heptode

Right the 285 is one way play, the 385 is auto-reverse, shouldn't matter re tracing , thanks.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 10:03 pm   #10
toshiba tony
Heptode

Got it, there's a leaf switch mounted in the middle of deck B, it's activated in the play mode only, the lever that actuates it wasn't reaching it. Thanks for your help re the pdf, only found it with your help, I unplugged the main plug to the board and shorted ot the various switches from the board end which sped things up. Cheers Graham.
Closed Thread