UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2017, 9:34 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default A cautionary tale.

Had a Sony cassette deck on the bench for attention today but this could happen with any tape machine. I stuck a tape in and it played for a split second then no sound? hmmm odd try another tape same thing, put it in play with no tape in it, wave a screwdriver near the heads and plenty of sound picked up. How strange then it dawned on me........erase heads running all the time wiping the test tapes bar the little bit between the 2 heads, well that's 2 test tapes with blank spaces on them now. Grrrrrr
Old 10th Mar 2017, 10:24 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: cautionary tale

Nothing new. Grundig TK20 anyone....

Check the switching for the head.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 10:10 pm   #3
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Default Re: A cautionary tale.

That's why I keep a selection of junk tapes to test and repair cassette decks, they often get mangled by faulty mechanisms etc.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 9:46 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Oh crikey I would never put my Philips test tape in anything other than a known, good, working machine. But sorry to hear what happened to you.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 11:47 am   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Oh dear. There was a VCR in the past. A Sharp. The bias osc. would start on its own. Known problem. Lost a few test tapes
Old 12th Mar 2017, 6:15 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

The common Philips EL3302 and similar early machines can also erase tapes by mistake. If the screw that holds the record button spring works loose it can cause the record contacts to touch, even if the tape has the record tab removed.