UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2018, 4:03 pm   #21
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Circuit Symbol Sizes and Proportions?

How very interesting, i just took a look at some old circuit diagrams from 1936 -1960 ish. To my surprise I found some inconsistencies.
Some diagrams show wires crossing others with a loop, but also within the same circuit it shows crossing without a loop, and with a loop!
Also with a solid dot for a connection and no dot for crossing, hope that makes sense?
I suppose in the past I’ve just accepted it and got on with the job in hand.
This is one of the things I like about this forum the diversity of topics.
Cheers
John
Old 8th Sep 2018, 11:57 pm   #22
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Quote:
I really like the appearance of your diagram. It reads easily and looks excellent. If I was to suggest any adjustment, I'd like to see the valve symbols a little larger whilst keeping the resistors and capacitors as they stand, and the coil symbols perhaps a little smaller.
But this is personal to me - and it's nit-picking. Congratulations on a fine piece of work, a good way better than I can produce.

Tony
I'll go over my symbol library again and see what I can come up with!

Unfortunately, as regards to "bridged-over" crossings, which always was the traditional way of draughting, SPlan 7.0 doesn't seem to have an automatic means of producing this - but I can add a special symbol for it!

Chris Williams
Old 9th Sep 2018, 1:01 am   #23
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Here's my latest standard!

I've had a careful look at Newnes's valve-electrodes and realised their grids are always drawn with true rectangular "dashes" and a predominantly thin envelope rather than the thick one in Wireless World and R.C., so I've re-draughted the symbols to come out roughly at the mid-50s, the middle of the sloping lettering era!

(Unfortunately I'm still having trouble with the letters, altho' I have got a stencil for it!)

Chris Williams
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chinese Radio V3.pdf (68.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 10th Sep 2018, 9:43 am   #24
Aerodyne
Octode

I note that you've managed to create a bridge. I think this latest upload is going to be hard to beat. It is clear, 'polished' (distinctly non-amateur!) and serves its intended purpose admirably.

Tony
Old 10th Sep 2018, 10:39 am   #25
John10b
Nonode

I agree very clear and easy to follow, one small observation, the value of C5, I would prefer it to be in this form e.g. 0.05uFd for example or is this old fashion?
Cheers
John
Old 10th Sep 2018, 10:41 am   #26
John10b
Nonode

0.01 ufd I should have said, sorry.
Cheers
John
Old 10th Sep 2018, 10:47 am   #27
ms660
Dekatron

Maybe the thickness of the line for the valve envelope should be different to that of the conductors.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 5:28 pm   #28
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

I use TUBEPAD, which is based onUsoft paint with symbol [both US and RSGB] and component outline libraries. Good free QD [quick and dirty] software

https://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/Tubepadf.html

"Welcome to the TubePad Web page.
TubePad is not a program, firstly. It is a series, or library of images. These images can be called upon by any image viewer, although TubePad was written (drawn) on and for MS Paint. Because there is no execution file, there is nothing to run but your own on-board .bmp IDE. This makes for an extremely safe, non-invasive, and easy to use system of creating decent looking schematics and design illustrations for hobby, web-design, educational, and whatever other use one might think up"

Abbreviations
fd should never be used for Farads, only F; the unit 1st letter is a capital and so is the abbreviation - e.g. 0.01µF. Occasionally you see mfd [µF] and mmfd [pF] in USA history, but this was unclear; mfd should only mean millifarad [i.e. 1000µF] and there weren't too many of those around back then.
same goes for Volts [V], Henries [H], etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eddy-sw2-kf9cmx.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	169205  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 7:46 pm   #29
John10b
Nonode

Thank you for pointing that out to me, didn’t really notice till you said.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Sep 2018, 12:45 am   #30
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
How very interesting, i just took a look at some old circuit diagrams from 1936 -1960 ish. To my surprise I found some inconsistencies.
Some diagrams show wires crossing others with a loop, but also within the same circuit it shows crossing without a loop, and with a loop!
Also with a solid dot for a connection and no dot for crossing, hope that makes sense?
I suppose in the past I’ve just accepted it and got on with the job in hand.
This is one of the things I like about this forum the diversity of topics.
Cheers
John
A particularly evil version uses no blobs or loops. If a line terminates at right angles to another line, there's a connection. If it goes straight across, there isn't. If two lines approach from opposite sides and are connected, they have to be staggered, not straight across.

Add in 2nd or higher generation copies and poor scans turning loops into blobs for good measure!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread