UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2018, 9:31 pm   #1
P'TangYangKippe
Retired Dormant Member

Default Stereosound 9000D

Hi all, I have just purchased a Stereosound 9000D. I am wondering A) what the forums general opinion of them is, and B) what record deck is in it and will cartridges and Styli be easily available. Thanks for any input.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 9:45 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Stereosound 9000D

Hello and welcome. Is this the one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereosound.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	155525  
Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:33 pm   #3
P'TangYangKippe
Retired Dormant Member

Thats the one! Do you know much about them? Are they any good?
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:05 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

I'd describe it as "mid-range", i.e. not the best quality, but certainly not the worst. The deck is a late BSR, always reliable and sturdy, but let down by the plastic turntable. Styli are very easy to get, being one of, if not the most common ever made. The cartridge, though, in common with all replacement cartridges now, are getting very scarce and expensive. The good news though is that the one fitted is reliable, and should give you good service for a good few years yet.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:26 pm   #5
P'TangYangKippe
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Audio 1950. Hopefully the cartridge is ok. If not, do you know which cartridge it is (or for that matter which BSR model it is) and where they can be bought? Hopefully the platter is not warped as I have heard some worrying things about the plastic ones.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:31 pm   #6
paulsherwin

If need be you could probably fit one of the cheap Chinese red cartridges as used in modern Crosleys, GPOs etc. There are lots of threads discussing them if you search the forum.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:50 pm   #7
P'TangYangKippe
Retired Dormant Member

They sound a bit nasty paulsherwin. I am hoping that the unit will warrant something half decent. Or am I wrong in that?
Old 16th Jan 2018, 11:36 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The deck looks like a BSR C series, possibly C129 or later. It is most liable to have a BSR SC12M cartridge. If all is working well, you shound not need a replacement cartridge but you might need a new stylus and these are still available,
Old 16th Jan 2018, 12:26 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'TangYangKippe View Post
They sound a bit nasty paulsherwin. I am hoping that the unit will warrant something half decent. Or am I wrong in that?
The Crosleys/GPOs etc certainly sound nasty, but that's not the fault of the cartridges. There is a lot of info about using them if you search. The main difficulty is mounting them in the headshell, though some are sold with a suitable clip.

Anyway, the original cart is probably fine, so cross that bridge when you come to it.
Old 16th Jan 2018, 10:44 pm   #10
P'TangYangKippe
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks chaps. Edward what is your honest appraisal of the deck assuming it is the C129? Is it likely it will have a noticeable rumble when playing do you think?
Old 16th Jan 2018, 11:52 pm   #11
P'TangYangKippe
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry about this but I just cant find any information on this unit anywhere. Is the amplifier valve powered?
Old 17th Jan 2018, 12:19 am   #12
Cobaltblue

Looking at the general style (slider controls etc) dates this to the late 1970's to 1980's so its very unlikely to valve based.

Take the back off if there are bottles it will soon become obvious.

It looks like a budget system.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 17th Jan 2018, 12:29 am   #13
paulsherwin

I'd say it's earlier than that, probably the end of the radiogram era i.e. late 60s / early 70s.

If it works within a few seconds of switching on then it uses transistors. If you have to wait for 30 seconds or so before anything happens then it uses valves. From the general appearance I'd guess it's a transistor design.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 11:16 am   #14
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's transistorised. There were a wide range of BSR C series decks. Some were better than others. It looks like yours may have a plastic 12" dual-layer turntable. It may sound OK in your unit as it was "matched" to the rest of the system. But playing it through a proper Stereo Hi Fi amplifier and speakers would show up its limitations.