UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2018, 2:18 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Ferrox cube as GDT former?

Hello ,

I’m ‘thougt- designing’ my next iteration of my project. I need to build a beefy GDT which will be cinquifilar.

I have to hand a largish green amorphous alloy toroid, but also a small scrap flyback transformer and a larger ferroxcube type from an HT smps.

Switching frequency is around 200-220KHz.

The larger one from the SMPS was originally woind with thick litz wire on the primary and thinner on the secondary , to prevent saturation . It was non-resonant switched.

The larger formers appeal to me as each gate driver will be sourcing 9A pulses (two drivers, four GDT’s). I will use scrap Ethernet wire as it is already twisted pairs once you take the outer insulation off.
I imagine the green toroid will not saturate, whereas I’m sure the ferroxcube material definitely won’t
Old 14th Jan 2018, 5:32 pm   #2
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferric cube as GDT former?

It should saY ferrox cube:, not ferric cube,

this is a pesky example of predictive text on an iPhone5S or whatever software it has uploaded recently- makes posting on the move a real pain!
Old 14th Jan 2018, 7:33 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Mods please can you urgently change the title to include the word Ferroxcube’ as the current one is nonsense generated by predictive text when I was on the move! Thank you.

Ideally it should say ‘Ferroxcube material as GDT former instead of amorphous alloy? Pros and cons ‘

Thank you kindly
Old 14th Jan 2018, 8:00 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Al, at one time Mullard and others produced bars, plates and blocks of ferrite material so that various shapes could be made up, including transformers with large cross sections.
Not sure if this stuff is still available but there may b e some of it in ebay

Ed
Old 14th Jan 2018, 8:32 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

On a project some decades back I watched a bunch of military-submarine-types feeding lots-of-pulse-power into a range of esoterically sculpted ferrometallic things, my worry would be that without resort to possibly still-classified materials, how much ultrasonic-energy you can deliver before the ferrometallic-thing disassembles itself.
Closed Thread