UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2017, 3:00 pm   #21
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Cutting and soldering Teflon covered wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Tony, it was described as Teflon, so that's what I'm assuming it is.

Not that the tips of desoldering tools are very heat resistant, I note! They quickly melt and discolour, but I don't want to go OT.

This material sure is tough to cut, very hard. I suppose I could go round it with a knife, but that isn't easy to do with 22SWG.
First- possibly sorted by now, but way back in the 60's a warning was issued to all GPO staff in places that used PTFE sleeved wiring (shows how old this is ) that dangerous fumes could come off heated PTFE, and protection should be used. Symptoms were similar to mild flu like things.
Second (again of the risk of going OT), way back, we used to fit a Hellerman sleeve on the end. Better suction and if it burnt- simply cut off the burnt bit.
Old 11th Dec 2017, 3:36 pm   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
All the wiring on spacecraft is PTFE insulated... I can't recall offhand what strippers are used, but I do remember them being an order of magnitude or more than any sane private person would think of paying.
Hotweezers maybe?

They work well, but need ventilation with PTFE. Keep the tip blades free from any fragments!
Old 11th Dec 2017, 6:52 pm   #23
The Philpott
Dekatron

That light green multi-core i used on my latest meter repair is PTFE covered. Ideal for that particular application- ie multi stranded for fracture resistance but when you kink it into place it stays kinked. I too use a stanley knife blade, rolling the wire across a piece of wood and pressing lightly. Fingernails into the nick in the insulation and it comes off easily. Looking at the colour it may well be silver plated not tinned.
Old 11th Dec 2017, 7:11 pm   #24

It is silver plated because of the extrusion temperature of PTFE, lovely stuff to work with, and a right pain to lace up, the lacing has a tendency to wander about.

Old 11th Dec 2017, 7:56 pm   #25
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

This sort of thing does the same job as the razor blade, but saves fingers!
Old 11th Dec 2017, 10:50 pm   #26
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've always made a lengthwise cut and then peeled the end like a banana, snipping the 'peel' away after. Some of the panels we've had from ex-mod equipment have been made with pink ptfe wire.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 11:58 am   #27
emeritus
Dekatron

Pink was the colour specified for wire in MOD contracts in the 1970's. Cables were identified by numbered and lettered slip-on sleeves of various colours at both ends.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 2:56 pm   #28
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Pink was the colour specified for wire in MOD contracts in the 1970's. Cables were identified by numbered and lettered slip-on sleeves of various colours at both ends.
I'm not sure when "MoD Pink" PTFE became a thing - like you say, it became de-rigeur in the 1970s; my various bits of Clansman gear are all wired in pink, I've also seen some 'reworked' Larkspur gear where the rework-wiring is in pink, and pink Hellerman sleeves had been used on original wiring that was still in-place but had been soldered/resoldered as part of the rework.

As to stripping PTFE-insulated wire, I remember the guys from GEC had a special tool (whose name I forget - something like Stall?) that was a version of the "Knipex" single action cut-and-pull type but had a gripper which rotated through an (adjustable up to about 90 degrees) amount as it pulled the cut piece of insulation off, so it essentially 'unscrewed' the insulation off the wire.
Closed Thread