UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2017, 10:53 pm   #1
Hub Bubble
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR UA8 Overarm removal.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the overarm of a BSR UA8, used in a Dansette Major. It looks like I have to remove a very stubborn pin from the underside?
Old 31st Jul 2017, 11:52 am   #2
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: BSR UA8 Overarm removal.

Hi

If you are talking about the tone arm, not the record steadying arm, the procedure is to disconnect the two wires leading from the tone arm from the tagboard, then unscrew the knurled brass nut underneath the tone arm base and the tone arm will then easily come off. Note carefully the position of the spring under the knurled nut and the black or silver washer.

Alex
Old 31st Jul 2017, 2:14 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

The overarm on mine is just secured by a circlip and very easy to remove. As above - are you thinking of the tonearm?
Old 31st Jul 2017, 11:28 pm   #4
Hub Bubble
Retired Dormant Member

I'm talking about the steadying arm that holds the record in position ready to drop it onto the turntable,
Old 1st Aug 2017, 6:48 am   #5
regentone001
Heptode

Hi
Sorry but taking the overarm off a UA8 isn't as simple as removing the circlip at the bottom,that is how to do it on a UA6. The UA8 has a pin which fits into a keyway. I have never removed the overarm on a UA8, I do wonder why you need to, but I would think from what I remember that the top of the support column unscrews, if I remember correctly there are two small holes in it for some sort of tool to be inserted, I would very gently try unscrewing it and see what happens. Just don't force it.
Steve
Old 1st Aug 2017, 9:19 am   #6
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Hi

Looking at he BSR Service sheet and the exploded diagram for, as they call it, the Record Control Arm, there is a "plug" at the top of the column with two small holes in it. The idea apparently is to use a tool in these holes and unscrew the plug which is threaded into the column. It the says "Control Arm Assembly can then be removed" I hope this makes sense.

Alex
Old 1st Aug 2017, 9:19 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

We need to know from the OP why he needs to remove it? The main thing is to ensure that the overarm is seating properly on to the record stack.
Old 1st Aug 2017, 7:53 pm   #8
leslie5555
Heptode

Yes as Alex says simply unscrew the threaded ring at the top of the overarm housing, remove it and pull the overarm upwards to remove.
Simples.
Old 1st Aug 2017, 8:10 pm   #9
Hub Bubble
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the replies, I was going to remove it because there is a lot of side to side movement as if the side of the slot has been worn away by the pin. There does appear to be a "plug" at the top with tiny holes. I was going to remove it to see if I could reduce the amount of movement but it doesn't look like there is anything I can do about it even if I could remove it. Except for the freeplay, the overarm does work as it's supposed to so I'll probably leave it as it is.
Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Pete
Old 1st Aug 2017, 9:32 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The side to side movement is as it should be. Do most certainly, leave it as it is!