UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2018, 5:52 pm   #121
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: HP 4850 scanner: driver, Win_XP, 32-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
I don't know what the piece of test H/W was that he then produced from his toolkit, but it looked quite serious. ISTR that he connected it between the incoming line and the DSL port of the router. It was after those two tests that he made his pronouncement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
Thanks for the extra information - I did wonder if it was something in the "DSL" domain, but then given your excellent sync speed, I was struggling to see how such a test would arrive at the conclusion he did...
Well I can only suppose that the apparently obvious reason why the BT/OR technician came to the conclusion that he did was that he did say:

"You've got 70 Mbps going into your router but only about 30 ~ 35 Mbps coming out."

But does that imply a fixed hardware fault in the router? Could the router be remotely and dynamically programmed to produce that reduced output? If so, then the replacement router will behave just the same. Pure, pointless speculation? Again, time will tell.

Al.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 6:01 pm   #122
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: HP 4850 scanner: driver, Win_XP, 32-bit

Given issues of latency and round-trip-time if your router only has 10/100Mbit Ethernet ports then it could well be the limiting factor to geting the full capacity out of your new upstream path. The 10/100 could easily be where the bottleneck is.

A router with Gigabit Ethernet ports as the downstream would be worth trying.

Or run *two* simultaneous tests from a pair of devices connected to the 10/100 ports on your router: it's quite common for two simultaneous loads to 'interleave' their packets so being better able to saturate the upstream connection.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 6:25 pm   #123
dglcomp
Pentode

Just one thing to add, as far as i am aware plusnet (who we are with for ADSL) do not throttle connections, they may use traffic management/qos prioritising at peak times but that is only so that if you are doing Skype Etc. it does not get swamped by someone downloading a lot on you home network. Therefore what the Openreach engineer gets it what should be available out of the router (give or take a few mb).
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 10:46 pm   #124
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Well I can only suppose that the apparently obvious reason why the BT/OR technician came to the conclusion that he did was that he did say:

"You've got 70 Mbps going into your router but only about 30 ~ 35 Mbps coming out."
Taking what you've reported at face value, that seems to imply that he is confused by the difference between sync/line speed and throughput. Surely he'd know that the throughput is likely to be throttled in any number of places, and that this observation alone is insufficient to condemn the router?

I was wondering what the item of test gear might have been, and wonder if this looks familiar: https://www.viavisolutions.com/sites...s/hst-3000.png - that's what they usually bring to where I work (where there are a fair few xDSL circuits). If not, I'm sure it would have been equivalent (there's plenty out there). These can act as a xDSL modem, thereby testing your modem by substitution. So if he connected his laptop to the VDSL circuit via this unit and still got the low throughput speeds, then clearly there's nothing wrong with the PlusNet-supplied router/modem.

I still think the engineer suggested a new router/modem for the reasons I gave in post #120. And as well as the cost of the new router, PlusNet are picking up the cost of the visit because the line itself is absolutely fine (meets SIN349), as demonstrated by your 80 Mb/s line speed. Indeed, with a line/sync speed like that - comfortably above your contracted "Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed" of 74 Mb/s - I'm really not sure why PlusNet sent an engineer, as clearly the poor throughput is a problem with the infrastructure between the DSLAM and the internet proper. I suppose the visit has eliminated your computers and network...

A typical simplified infrastructure diagram is shown here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Diagram_en.svg - lots of things to mis-configure or fail. But as I said earlier, I'm sure this is where PlusNet will be focusing their (or BTW's) efforts now that all the obvious things have been eliminated. I'm sure it won't take them much longer to get to the root cause
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 11:23 pm   #125
Skywave
Dekatron

Mark: the item of test kit that the technician produced did not look at all like what you've shown. In fact, it looked like something that was shed-made by hand or a rough prototype built in a hurry. It was an all-metal box, cadmium-plated, rectangular, about 9" x 5" x 4". By the position he was standing when he was fiddling with it, he was obstructing my view of more detail of it and what, exactly, he was doing. To be perfectly frank, I wasn't paying a great deal of attention to what he was doing: I was paying more attention to the questions he was asking me so that I could give him appropriate answers. And waiting for his pronouncements with trepidation. (Thinking "I hope that this visit isn't going to cost me the N.F.F. call-out fee". Fortunately, it didn't - least, no bill has been received so far). However, I do recall him saying:

"I''m a telephone engineer; I don't know anything about computers, etc."

Make of that remark what you will.

Al.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 11:40 pm   #126
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Given issues of latency and round-trip-time, if your router only has 10/100 Mbit Ethernet ports, then it could well be the limiting factor to getting the full capacity out of your new upstream path. The 10/100 could easily be where the bottleneck is.
Well, maybe - on both counts. Having signed the contract (relevant detail as previously described), the router that PN subsequently supplied has four 100 Mb Ethernet ports (and a DSL port, a WAN port - presumably for FTTP - and a USB port. The router is made by Sagecom). Therefore . . . .

Al.
Old 24th Jan 2018, 11:31 pm   #127
Skywave
Dekatron

Can I benefit from others knowledge here with a simple & basic realtity check about this sub-topic, please? Just want to be sure that I'm not living in a fool's paradise & wasting everybody's time and effort.

The BT Wholesale Speed Test measures throughput speed, not sync. speed: I'm aware of that & always have been. My guaranteed sync. speed is 70 Mbps. minimum. So with that in mind, what would be a reasonable / realistic throughput speed? (Yes, I do realise that that can vary between quite wide limits, depending on many factors, incl. time of day).

Your opinions will be appreciated & valued: thanks.

Al.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 8:41 am   #128
dglcomp
Pentode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Given issues of latency and round-trip-time, if your router only has 10/100 Mbit Ethernet ports, then it could well be the limiting factor to getting the full capacity out of your new upstream path. The 10/100 could easily be where the bottleneck is.
Well, maybe - on both counts. Having signed the contract (relevant detail as previously described), the router that PN subsequently supplied has four 100 Mb Ethernet ports (and a DSL port, a WAN port - presumably for FTTP - and a USB port. The router is made by Sagecom). Therefore . . . .

Al.
Just an FYI the hub one (it's the same as the BT HH5) has all gigabit ports according to plusnet themselves, no router with wireless AC should have 10/100Mbit ports really and I don't know of any that do.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-H...e/td-p/1273762
Old 25th Jan 2018, 9:14 am   #129
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I have sync speed of 13.2Mbs and the best DL I get is around 11.3Mbs. I would hope that your 70Mbs sync speed would translate to at least 60-62Mbs.

That’s my thoughts, see what others have to say.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 11:27 am   #130
Skywave
Dekatron

Thumbs up Re: HP 4850 scanner: driver, Win_XP, 32-bit

Thanks Frank. That's the type of succinct & relevant response I was hoping for.

Al.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 11:12 pm   #131
Skywave
Dekatron

It's now clear to me that this thread has almost reached saturation, judging by the ever-diminishing responses from members. That is quite understandable, since it has drifted far away from the thread title. And no-one is obliged to contribute to it anyway! But my thanks to all who have. Seems to me that there is only one reason to keep it open - so that I can report my findings when the new router has settled in and the response from Plusnet, if there is not a substantial improvement in throughput speed.

With all that in mind plus my recent request for member's opinions & experiences of typical throughput speeds on an FTTC connection, (thank you, Frank), I intend to open a new thread to specifically enquire on only that topic.

Al. / Jan. 26th.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 12:25 pm   #132
Station X

This thread is being closed until such time as the OP has something definite to report.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Closed Thread