UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2021, 11:25 pm   #1
PaulM
Hexode

Default BECG Building

The Broadcast Engineering Conservation Group (BECG) is pleased to announce that we have a home for our Broadcast Engineering Museum.

A 30,000 sq ft building set on 2 acres of land has been purchased at Hemswell Cliff in Lincolnshire and now the work really begins.

Full details here: https://becg.org.uk/2021/12/02/becg-...eum/#more-3571

There's a long, long way to go! Keen to hear from potential helpers

Best regards,

Paul Marshall,
Chairman
BECG
Old 4th Dec 2021, 12:19 am   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: BECG Building

Congratulations are in order for this major step forwards. It's a massive undertaking that only the most dedicated team would take on. Thankfully they have, as the results are sure to be unique and impressive.

I would love to join in but I fear we have our own project on a similar scale rolling out soonish...
Old 4th Dec 2021, 11:19 am   #3
PaulM
Hexode

Thanks, Lucien,

This is indeed a huge undertaking and we're looking to establish a significant broadcast heritage museum. It will take some time before we can open the doors to the public, but the more volunteers we can recruit, the quicker it will be done. Money is (strangely . . .) also a key enabler.

This is not Heritage Lottery funded - it's so far come out of peoples' own pockets and a generous benefactor, so we do need help . . .

The building is owned by BECG, so we can't be kicked out, but the running costs will have to be covered as well as refurbishment and fitting out.

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 4th Dec 2021, 4:58 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This is brilliant news, congratulations. Sounds like an ideal location for you too.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Dec 2021, 8:57 am   #5
PaulM
Hexode

Thanks, Paul,

Yes, it's ideal in so many ways, even though it's never going to be 'near everyone'. Being in Lincolnshire has almost uniquely made the price right. This would have been completely off the radar cost wise anywhere south and also in most other areas.

The hard work has already begun - clearing up inside and out despite the time of year and the weather. This early stuff is just sheer grunt work and no real skills needed, just DIY. A friendly glazier would be good to know though.

We're also very conscious of the building's own history as well as the history that is to be 'installed'. My research shows that 427 sergeants, flight sergeants and warrant officers who took off from RAF Hemswell during the war were killed on operations. It's a staggering number of brave men who would have used the building. Most would have had their quarters there too. They will be commemorated.

Let the day's work begin

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 5th Dec 2021, 1:30 pm   #6
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Congratulations Paul,
It's agreat step forward.

I spent the majority of my working life in the TV broadcast industry, working for equipment providers & system installers, rather than the actual broadcast companies.
Unfortunately, I'm now the other side of the country, so rather a long way for me.

However, I shall watch the progress with interest, & hopefully will be able at some point to lend a hand, even if it's only for a few days.

David.

Last edited by Vintage Engr; 5th Dec 2021 at 1:30 pm. Reason: Typo error.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 7:00 am   #7
PaulM
Hexode

Thanks, David,

Look forward to seeing you there one day.

The main large rooms will be for the cameras, telecines, VTR, OB etc., but we also plan to have some domestic TVs in room settings.

It's going to take several years, but some kit will move in shortly.

Best regards,

Paul M
Closed Thread