UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2019, 5:28 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Fine nosed pliers

Feeling rather pleased with my latest tool acquisition- found in a rummage box at a steam and vintage show, one sorry looking pair of Lindstrom 7892
"129 mm Steel Long Nose Pliers With 29mm Jaw Length" for £1. Looked up the RS number and was duly impressed by the current price of £69.05 inc VAT.

The curved end of the jaws was just an impression of something but a few minutes on the bench grinder resulted in a nice straight long nose tool akin to the Lindstrom 7890.

Guess mine are classic pliers now- they have the original box jointed handles rather than the present day simple scissor type.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 8th May 2019, 5:36 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Fine nosed pliers

A great find! Lindstrom stuff is the bee's knees: I've got several sets of Lindstrom pliers and side-cutters 'acquired' from my time associated with private-wire circuits in telephone-exchanges a few decades back.
Old 8th May 2019, 9:44 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

In recent months (it may have been going on for longer but I've only just become aware of it) I've seen some very odd behaviour on Amazon UK concerning Lindstrom and similar (e.g. Bahco) hand tools. A small number of them will suddenly appear at a very low price indeed - perhaps as low as 20% of the list price. As each individual item sells the price will rise, although the last one still tends to go for less than half the list price. Then that's it - in a while (few days, maybe weeks ?) another item will appear with the same deal on it. I've recently bought a couple of nice pairs of fine flush cutters at knock down prices this way. But I've no idea why Amazon does it.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 9th May 2019, 8:00 am   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

I purchased a pair of Lindstrom side cutters the cost me £40 plus, they were not box jointed and made in Spain , still very good cutters.
Old 9th May 2019, 8:49 am   #5
Sinewave
Octode

I've got a few nice sets of Lindstrom pliers and other hand tools, they are nice, but not sure they're worth their new price tag. They were issued to me when I worked in the oil and gas industry, we were all made redundant so were allowed to take our things with us.
Old 9th May 2019, 8:53 am   #6
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I have a pair of long nosed pliars bought at Southhamplon market in about 1960. These were made in Poland and with a black finish. The handles are slowly getting polished due to regular use. An axcellent tool.

To be off topic, I have two Lindstrom side cutters, one scissors hinge and one boxed. The scissored one is best and will cut the finest wire. How do they make the box joint?
Old 9th May 2019, 9:53 am   #7
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
To be off topic, I have two Lindstrom side cutters,
Lindstrom is the topic
Old 9th May 2019, 11:20 am   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

Just remember that when you knacker a pair of Lindstroms it hurts you more than when you knacker some cheap ones. I speak from experience
Old 9th May 2019, 3:38 pm   #9
BulgingCap
Pentode

Mr Bungle: It hurts even more when someone else knackers them for you !
A machine mechanic in China grabbed a pair of Lindstrom full flush cutters whilst my head was turned, then smiled sweetly when he returned them. 35 years later they still have a large notch in them where he cut a steel locking wire off a bolt head. They are specified as '1mm unplated copper, max'.
BC
Old 10th May 2019, 8:36 am   #10
alanworland
Heptode

As an electronics production engineer I used to buy all shop floor tools, always of good quality, Lindstrom, bahco etc and I used to cringe at how some of the production operatives would 'use' them!

Alan
Old 10th May 2019, 8:54 am   #11
GrimJosef
Dekatron

My niece runs a small business making custom hats (quite a lot of her clients are women going to weddings). Some of the hats involve decorative wire work, either as support for beading or just as a 'creation' itself. One of my Christmas presents to her this year was a pair of small flush-cutting Bahcos .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 10th May 2019, 8:59 am   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

The box joint is a bit of a trick...... one of the handles is split longitudinally. It's not obvious unless the plastic handle sleeve comes loose.

My painful Lindstrom experience was at Gatwick security- my sponge bag containing the pair of diagonal flush cutters I used as nail clippers(!) was in my cabin bag. For some reason a pair of nail scissors in my ex's bag was OK, but the cutters weren't. No time to go back and post them to myself
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 10th May 2019 at 9:05 am.
Old 10th May 2019, 3:01 pm   #13
kalee20
Dekatron

My fine-nosed pliers are Erem! I prefer their tools to Lindstrom.

However, there is a good argument for having a set of cheap tools, market-stall stuff, for jobs where they are likely to get damaged or lost. A £5 pair of pliers is just as good for holding a screw while it's trimmed by an angle grinder as a £65 pair - and as for fingers to hold the screw, well they're priceless!
Old 10th May 2019, 3:18 pm   #14
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yes indeed.

I figured that Lindstrom were out of budget when I broke the last pair so I went for Piergiacomi ones which are better than the cheap junk at cheap junk prices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UQWJAA

If I break them I don't cry. I'm on my second pair in 4 years so it seems to be a wise investment so far.

They do pliers as well.
Old 10th May 2019, 4:43 pm   #15
Sinewave
Octode

To be fair these days I buy the cheap as chips Duratool from CPC which turn out to be really good. So good even people at work as where I got them from.
Old 10th May 2019, 5:30 pm   #16
Granitehill
Tetrode

GPO / BT has to have been one of the biggest users of fine nose pliers ("Pliers wiring No. 2), otherwise known to all and sundry as "81s". I don't remember ever seeing Lindstrom pliers, but lots of unbranded and some Wilkinson ones - all scissor jointed. They seemed to last about a couple of years, but wore out eventually.
Lindstrom were one of the suppliers of diagonal cutters ("Snips") though. These were box jointed and seemed to last longer than the pliers.
Old 10th May 2019, 5:32 pm   #17
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
The box joint is a bit of a trick...... one of the handles is split longitudinally. It's not obvious unless the plastic handle sleeve comes loose.
It`s a very good trick - I have a pair of Lindstrom diagonal cutters inherited from my Father in Law and probably ex RAF which have no plastic sleeve and I still can`t see the join.....
Old 11th May 2019, 7:04 pm   #18
Herald1360
Dekatron

Perhaps they have a genuine box joint?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th May 2019, 2:11 pm   #19
threeseven
Octode

My Dad used to say, you should always buy the best you can afford, and if at all possible just buy the best anyway, then take great care of it. It's a philosophy that would seem to work as I inherited his tools and they all still work perfectly and are in amazing condition. Of course I always buy the best I can myself and Lindstrom is one of the best. Another I can highly recommend is Engineer of Japan. Disproportionately high quality for their very reasonable price.
Old 13th May 2019, 3:13 pm   #20
elanman99
Hexode

Modern box joints (well Lindstrom ones anyway) are made with the outer leaves of the hinge fully slit so they can be assembled and the two 'tails' hidden inside the plastic handle.

I always understood that the traditional box joint was made by creating the two separate halves of the tool to finished sizes, then the half with the rectangular hole is heated up in a forge and the hole opened up with a tapered spike so it is just large enough for the centre leaf to be installed. A few quick whacks with a hammer then closes the box.

Ian
Closed Thread