UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2019, 10:49 am   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Soundcraft Spirit LX7 Mixing board.

Found this on Gumtree last night.

A Soundcraft mixing board from a church of all places.
Looks pretty big from the picture , I was tempted myself but I think some divorce papers would be served if I arrived home with it !

https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers-m...ice/1330339825
Old 5th Mar 2019, 11:09 pm   #2
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: Soundcraft Spirit LX7 Mixing board.

That's rather a lot of money for an old, and mid-market, analogue mixer that's had a hard life. LX7's were quite popular in churches and similar venues.

It will certainly need a service - they usually have plenty of degraded solder joints on pots, switches and connectors that are soldered direct to PC boards and stressed with movement over years of use.

I might want to give it a blanket re-cap too...
(runs away and hides, see the "capacitor replacement" thread)
Old 6th Mar 2019, 7:17 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I'm under pressure to get rid of my big old mixing desk, another would not go down well. As Dave says, lots of work to get back into tip top condition.

Andy,
Old 7th Mar 2019, 1:43 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

It doesn't really look to be anything special - 24.4.2, doesn't look like any stereo ins. I can't see it being any better than the likes of an old Mackie VLZ or CFX, and it'll be getting tired.

At least it's not a Behringer
Old 7th Mar 2019, 10:37 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

The product naming may not be coincidence.

A friend was at soundcraft for some time and he said their main market was ecclesiastical, particularly the US bible belt.

Douglas Self was also there.

David
Old 7th Mar 2019, 5:35 pm   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

There are so many of these analogue mixing desks available these days and you can find proper, fully modular, desks for very little. Modular desks are much easier to service.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 4:20 pm   #7
John KC0G
Hexode

I run a 32-channel Allen & Heath GL2400 at my church here in Minneapolis. It is 12 years old and much better cared for than the LX7 in the photograph.

It has been very reliable. I have only had to go into the back of it once - to redo a soldered joint on one of the mute lights (see Dave's comments in post #2). I had to remove a huge number of screws just to get the back off. Inside it was beautifully put together, with a fat copper bar bolted to all of the modules. Getting the channel PCB out was tedious.

There are now a lot of big analogue mixers available in the used market here, as many churches have moved on to digital boards.

The system at my church was designed and installed by a sound engineering firm. They also have a rental business. We maintain a relationship with them, and I know the guy who runs the service dept., although he has not seen much business from me. If I were interested in a used mixer I would ask him what his experience of that particular piece of equipment is. I know from previous conversations that one needs to run away from certain pieces of gear. In this particular company equipment which is not robust, tweaky, unreliable, or has parts supply issues is removed from the rental business.

73 John
Closed Thread