UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 17th May 2019, 12:00 am   #1
19Seventy7
Heptode

Default Durabrand TV, what value resistor?

Hi,

My nan has a Durabrand TV from around 2005 as a spare TV (I don't remember the model number, IIRC it's something like 2480WM, although I know the WM bit is definitely right, if that's any help)

The TV requires a new resistor but I'm not sure of the value. I used an online band calculator, but it doesn't tell me what wattage.

The resistor bands are Red, Red, Silver, Gold which the calculator tells me is 0.22 ohms 5%

I'm not sure what wattage to get. (The resistor is in the HV stage, so I think it might be important)

Any help is appreciated

Thank you
19Seventy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 12:10 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Durabrand TV, what value resistor?

The resistor will have failed for a reason. There's no point in replacing it if you don't identify and fix the underlying cause.

Durabrand is an Asda house brand. All the Durabrand stuff I've ever seen has been Vestel.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 12:04 pm   #3
Maarten
Nonode

The context is very important. Type of TV, marking on te PCB, etc.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 4:43 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Heptode

Hi,

I'll check around to see what could've failed the resistor, but I was wondering if 1 watt should be sufficient?

The TV is a CRT Domestic TV, Colour, 27(?) inch. I'm not sure what you mean by marking on the PCB, do you mean burnt or something else? The resistor looks to be burnt.

Thank you
Old 17th May 2019, 5:06 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

This could well be a safety resistor at that low value. Check any caps diodes etc it feeds.
Old 17th May 2019, 5:52 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Heptode

Will do, I only did a visual check at first but I didn't see any thing else off, I'll do a proper check next time.

Thanks for your help
Old 17th May 2019, 7:42 pm   #7
Maarten
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Seventy7 View Post
Hi,

I'll check around to see what could've failed the resistor, but I was wondering if 1 watt should be sufficient?

The TV is a CRT Domestic TV, Colour, 27(?) inch. I'm not sure what you mean by marking on the PCB, do you mean burnt or something else? The resistor looks to be burnt.
I mentioned these points so we could find a schematic. That will have useful information on the power supply to determine the properties of this resistor and on what can also be broken and how to measure.

The model number should be on the back of the set (in case of Vestel, the label will also have 2 or 3 barcodes on it), maybe there's even a chassis designation or other useful information.

By marking on the PCB I literally mean marking, text that is on labels, on the silkscreen or in the copper layer. In case of a Vestel CRT set, you'd be looking for a number starting with AK or 11AK. This refers to the chassis, and is also marked on the schematics.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 1:21 am   #8
19Seventy7
Heptode

Hi,

That makes sense now, sorry for the confusion, i didnt know whether you meant labels or if any other components had burned or leaked, creating a mark on the PCB.

I did look for a schematic when i had the model number, but none were shown with the model number.

I’ll be round there again next week so I can look again, with more knowledge as to what to look for, too.

Thanks for your help