UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2019, 5:42 pm   #1
Neilriser
Pentode

Default Garrard AT6 turntable

Hi to all, could someone please advise as to the best cartridge to use on the AT6. Regards, Neil.
Old 2nd May 2019, 7:14 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Garrard AT6 turntable

I assume you mean magnetic, as the arm is good enough to take one;

https://cpc.farnell.com/audio-techni...dge/dp/AS00439
Old 2nd May 2019, 9:02 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

It depends on what amplifier you're using. Does it have inputs for magnetic cartridges?
Old 2nd May 2019, 9:18 pm   #4
Neilriser
Pentode

Hi, it's to replace an existing turntable on a 1962 Bush radiogram
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:05 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

In this case, you will need a good ceramic - this is what I use ;

https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?...ducts_id=18711

If the original cartridge was a crystal type, there may be a slight reduction in volume.
Old 3rd May 2019, 5:51 am   #6
suebutcher
Heptode

Perhaps the best ceramic for the AT6 is the Sonotone 9TAHC. This is a high compliance low output cartridge; if you need more output you could try the 9TA. The Stylus Lady has the genuine 9TAHC in stock. The original AT6 headshell is 2cm deep, so depending on the mounting hardware supplied with the cartridge spacing may be required.
Old 3rd May 2019, 9:27 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

I'd agree with Sue, but most 9TA(HC) carts now will have hardened arteries and won't sound at all good which is a real pity.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:53 am   #8
Neilriser
Pentode

Hi and thanks for advice the bush radiogram has an existing AT5 turntable with silver plastic arm the cartridge is a sonotone 9ta some of my vinyl seem to play with less volume than others? i prefurr the look of the at6 and have one in good condition would there be any real advantages to change it other than cosmetic? Neil
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:48 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Given the inherent limitatons of your Bush's amplfiers and speakers, it is highly unlikely that you would hear any difference at all. But through a modest Hi-Fi set up you probably would. Both the AT5 and the AT6 have the advantage of a detachable headshell which make for easier cartridge changes. New stereo cartridges are available, but you will be unlikely to improve upon your existing Sonotone. The AT5/Sonotone set up that you have is the optimum match for your Bush. Re. the difference in sound levels, are you using a mix of Mono and Stereo LPs? Mono LPs are likely to play louder.
Old 3rd May 2019, 5:00 pm   #10
Neilriser
Pentode

Hi Eward many thanks,my At5 has a silver coloured plastic arm and the head is not detachable,i am playing mono and stereo but some reason my stereo records seem louder with more base,my 9ta stylus is a lp/lp same volume on both sides,my bush plays really well and i think sometimes we expect to much and forget the age of the equipment.I was hoping the at6 would give me more but dosent seem to be the case?Neil
Old 5th May 2019, 12:31 pm   #11
llama
Octode

Recording levels for vinyl records is always a compromise between "nice and loud" and "cramming in more music". If you take those K-Tel (for example) LPs such as "20 All-time Greats" (or whatever) they are inevitably recorded at a much lower level than say a 6 tracks-per-side Beatles LP.
Graham
Old 17th May 2019, 10:58 am   #12
suebutcher
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
I'd agree with Sue, but most 9TA(HC) carts now will have hardened arteries and won't sound at all good which is a real pity.
True enough if it's spent half a century in a turntable mounted next to a valve amp! But both the 9TA's I've found were still OK even though one was well used.