UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Old 2nd May 2019, 1:42 pm   #21
Richard_FM
Heptode

Default Re: Mrs Spittal's jumping records

I remember at school one teacher was struggling to get a video playing, and after a minute or two asked if anyone in the class could help.

I volunteered & simply pressed the power button followed by play & it started playing, I returned to my seat with a smug expression on my face.

Due to the VCR showing a lot of things while on standby it wasn't obvious what state it was in. This was in the early 1990s when most people would have been familar with using a VCR.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:42 pm   #22
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Mrs Spittal's jumping records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
...she insisted that I promised not to play any 'Rolling Stones' records on it as they would damage her 'Stylo.'... The older generation had a hatred of groups such as The Who and the Rolling Stones that even in this case extended to them 'damaging' their record playing equipment!
It’s true that some records can damage the needle. As a lad I owned and treasured a Fullotone wind-up gramophone, and one of my favourite records was a Bill Haley 78 of “The Paper Boy”. The modulation of the instrumental break in the middle of the record was so loud that it would wear out the steel needle before the end of the record.

“The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum” - Havelock Ellis
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote