UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2023, 9:38 am   #141
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: RWB and OTHER outlets for our new and used items, can they carry on?

I see no reason not to ask the RSGB to include all future BVWS sales events in their rally list, provided it is made clear what type of event it is, who may bid and who can only browse and buy from stands, together with opening times and admission fee.

The RSGB is not an organiser of any sale type of events, so would not be able to grant any stand space.
The National Hamfest, who some people think is run by RSGB is actually staged by a company, "National Hamfest (Lincoln) Ltd". It is they who decide who attends and the charges made for stands and admission.
They do receive a tremendous amount of help from local clubs and organisations and pay suitable remuneration to them.
Rob
Old 13th Jul 2023, 9:58 am   #142
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: RWB and OTHER outlets for our new and used items, can they carry on?

Exactly, it's good PR practise, PR being essentially free as opposed to advertising that costs money but can be equally effective or even more so if well targeted.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 11:12 am   #143
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Agree with Steve Hertz and Rob.

There are occasional references to classic comms gear in Rad Com. Current ham radio has become very digital and high-end technical with the workings of modern kit far beyond left-behind simple souls like me brought up on valves and transistors so they have had to widen the scope a little in more recent years (I have been a member 50+ years). A good proportion of my ham radio friends of forty years ago are now into vintage stuff so I suggest there would be more than a little interest amongst the RSGB membership.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 11:14 am   #144
David Simpson
Nonode

Me thinks that its time that the Moderators closed this thread. It's run its course and posts are becoming repetitive.

More importantly - give the BVWS Committee members a break. They've been fully cooperative in answering queries and explaining BVWS policies on Sales/Auctions/Swapmeets/etc. Also, their BVWS duties & commitments are on-going. A busy year ahead, lets face it.

Give the chaps a chance to digest all that's been said, and no doubt they will have a hearty discussion in committee meetings or online communications.

Regards, David. Member - BVWS, VMARS, IET
Old 13th Jul 2023, 11:17 am   #145
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Well said David! Could not agree more. Mike B BTW is very helpful if indeed you have travelled a long way and need to leave earlier than others.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 11:39 am   #146
stevehertz
Dekatron

Not as I see it, new, fresh ideas coming forth by the day. If anyone doesn't like the thread they don't have to read it, just as I ignore threads on certain subjects.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 12:17 pm   #147
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Quote:
Whereas with items on stage it would need one of the porters on stage to try to find your item in the already crammed space and pass them down, which disrupts the auction and is a distraction for everyone else.
If you are geared for it this need not be such a problem. So a buyer expecting to leave early could indicate at the point of winning - while the porter knows where it is (in his hands) and thus it could immediately be placed towards the side, ready.

Maybe offer such a service with a buyers premium? (and not for the bulk buyers).

I know that I am not alone in finding this aspect a massive disinsentive to bidding on items of lesser interest.
Having portered myself at both RWB and Harpenden I think this is extremely unlikely. (also the opinion of at least one other porter)

It's back breaking as most of the sets are large and unwieldy and you try to negotiate a tight space without bumping into things and people . There is very little space to move the stuff around. You cannot simply add more porters even if you could find more volunteers as there simply is not the space on stage. By the time the lot 150 break comes around you really need the break!

The guys who look after the computer are carefully watching Mike to ensure he has not missed anything such as the correct amount, reserves or proxy bids, and correct bidder numbers, so cannot be expected to deal with billing whilst doing that.

So IMHO I don't expect any changes in the foreseeable future.

I think that has pretty much been said already.

This isn't Amazon, you can't pay to get it quicker.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Jul 2023, 12:56 pm   #148
ms660
Dekatron

I can't see a link to UKVRRR on the BVWS Home page and I can't see a link to BVWS on UKVRRR Home page.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 1:16 pm   #149
Paul Stenning
Administrator

No reason for links to be on the home page of either website, because they are separate entities.

Links to the forum is here https://www.bvws.org.uk/community/ and links to the BVWS website regularly appear in posts about their events here.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Jul 2023, 1:32 pm   #150
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
No reason for links to be on the home page of either website, because they are separate entities.

Links to the forum is here https://www.bvws.org.uk/community/ and links to the BVWS website regularly appear in posts about their events here.
I just find it odd that the two sites are not supporting each other on the home page so far as public awareness goes considering that there is to a certain extent a mutual interest.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 3:03 pm   #151
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

It isn't unusual for a web-site to have a Links section as a separate page. That said I agree that having them under "Community News" is a far from obvious place.

On Paul's home page the first thing you see are a pair of BVWS logos but it isn't obvious that they are hyper-links to their site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2023-07-13 15-01-04.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	281307  
Old 13th Jul 2023, 3:19 pm   #152
Junk Box Nick
Octode

(As I understand it) this forum is Paul’s personal initiative and links to BVWS events are at his (and the moderators implementing an agreed policy) discretion. (In practice, I expect all BVWS events are promoted.)

For this forum to be promoted on the BVWS site would be (or would appear to be) BVWS lending the forum some sort of official status which would likely open up a whole lot of issues re content, etc., – though I know it is common for there to be a disclaimer regarding third party web sites. And, of course, other forums are available.

I manage a website for an organisation and I have to be very aware of this aspect.

PS Agree SteveHertz #146 – if there was a ‘like’ button I would click.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 3:30 pm   #153
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Enough people think this is the BVWS forum as it is, last thing we want is to make more people think that way.

There will never be "like" buttons here - it's not Facebook!

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Jul 2023, 4:17 pm   #154
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Can’t comment on Facebook – I’m not on there!
Old 13th Jul 2023, 4:20 pm   #155
ms660
Dekatron

There's one for UKVRR:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukvr...s?locale=en_GB

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 5:06 pm   #156
Paul Stenning
Administrator

https://www.facebook.com/BritishVintageWirelessSociety

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Jul 2023, 5:08 pm   #157
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Me thinks that its time that the Moderators closed this thread. It's run its course and posts are becoming repetitive.
We will close it tomorrow evening, so a final chance if anyone has anything new to contribute.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Jul 2023, 5:13 pm   #158
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Did this forums home page ever have a Facebook link to the UKVRRR Facebook page?

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jul 2023, 6:14 pm   #159
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Links between this forum and its Facebook page are irrelevant to this thread.

Can we get back on topic please. Does anyone have anything NEW to add? If not it’s time to close it.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Jul 2023, 7:16 pm   #160
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Before this is closed, I would like to say thank you for all the input and more importantly the effort contributed by moderators in dealing with some comments.
My title included the word OTHER and it seems most comments were directed at BVWS and various issues.

Below, I have copied my comments from the latter half of my opening post, just as a reminder to the OTHER part of my original question. Sadly, this has not been discussed much in this entire thread.
It reads:

"Regarding posts on this forum. My own occasional foray into spending a lot of time sorting through boxes etc then taking pictures then writing it all up has in recent times had few takers. I find this disappointing. Maybe if I offered everything for free (like some generous members here do) I might be more lucky? That will not happen though as my time and items are more valuable.

I get the impression more and more, that an increasing amount of ukvrr members prefer to post a "wanted" rather than buy items that are offered. Eg. Wanted, a fairly common valve?
This might be they are "newcomers" to this hobby and have little in their own stock. It might be that they strike lucky and get something for free. It might be they buy just for the one job and no spares held.

It might also be, that seeing the amount of gear offered at times such as RWB with little interest, they don't want a millstone around their neck either?

For the time being, It is a good job there are a few of us hoarders around who have a large assortment of various items. But I do feel time is running out.Before too long it will all be gone and once more RWB may pick up. Assuming anything remaining is not offered at auction elsewhere for a wider market?"

SO, does anyone think that it might be becoming almost a "shopping as required" attitude hobby to obtaining items and parts rather than buy as and when available if the price is attractive?

The answer to this could dictate what is needed and what methods survive in the future. With or without BVWS.

Thank you one and all, I have found this a most interesting thread, despite never having had any dealings via BVWS personally.
Rob