UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2007, 9:27 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Good to see the pre-history of the transistor recognised

You may quibble with some of the editorial choices on this timeline of computing but it's good to see some of the "other" history of the transistor being given an airing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7091190.stm

It wasn't all down to Bardeen, Shockley and Brattain at Bell Labs.
Old 16th Nov 2007, 10:38 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Good to see the pre-history of the transistor recognised

I find this sort of information facinating. I wonder where we would have been now if valve technology had been bypassed and we'd gone straight in to semiconductors?

Rich.
Old 21st Nov 2007, 2:59 am   #3
drgonzo2
Retired Dormant Member

I can't help but wonder how the world would have changed if Babbage had been able to get his difference engine up & running...

Cheers... G
Old 21st Nov 2007, 6:35 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
It wasn't all down to Bardeen, Shockley and Brattain at Bell Labs.
True, but it was Bardeen and Brattain who brought the transistor out of the realm of experiment and into reality as a useable device. It is all too easy to discount the successful pioneers, whatever the technology or invention. As for Faraday inventing the semiconductor... words fail me.
-Tony
Closed Thread