UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2019, 2:00 pm   #81
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Re: Extinct or very hard to find sets (625 lines to 1990)

I've never heard of JVC badged Fergusons before.

I know Radio Rentals refurbished some TXs into more modern cases for rental, which I presume were later sold off.
Old 27th Feb 2019, 2:03 pm   #82
Richard_FM
Nonode

Cathay was a brand that I never seemed to see much if at all outside the Argos catalogue.

As late as 1992 they was a 12 inch B&W set available with this branding, which at least had individual push buttons rather than 1 big tuning dial.
Old 27th Feb 2019, 3:58 pm   #83
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

They were Eastern European sets. Built like battleships. Tuning pots and non-springy fuseholders were the main problems there.
Old 27th Feb 2019, 11:05 pm   #84
Colourstar
Octode

Talking of portables, Boots own-brand tv and audio was often a hasty re-badge of models from large manufacturers including Philips and Ferguson. Usually very easy to spot- with the exception of this set from 1980 whose parentage remains shrouded in mystery...

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boots tv.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	179135  
Old 27th Feb 2019, 11:48 pm   #85
Richard_FM
Nonode

Boots sold some of those TV, radio & tape recorder combos in the 1980s, which were made in Taiwan & sold under various other names including Ingersoll.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 12:00 am   #86
Maarten
Dekatron

The back of the Boots TV12 on radiomuseum.org shows "Made in Great Britain".
Old 28th Feb 2019, 12:05 am   #87
Colourstar
Octode

Hi Maarten, the one on Radiomuseum is a different set. It must be a slightly earlier 'TV12' as it's a straight Thorn rebadge (1580 chassis?)

Steve
Old 28th Feb 2019, 1:47 am   #88
martin.m
Hexode

Does anyone remember the Philips K70 hybrid colour TVs? They had a transformerless valve audio output stage with an 800 ohm speaker. I think they were made in Sweden. Visionhire had a few out on rental in the early 1970s. The sound quality was superb.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:03 am   #89
Maarten
Dekatron

K70 was indeed the Swedish version of the K7 chassis. I seem to remember it uses an ECL86 with a normal output transformer and loudspeaker. I only know of various B/W sets with a transformerless output stage.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:46 am   #90
mickash
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
Did Telefunken make sets in the UK?

I would think some Telefunken models are extinct now. The 710 chassis that got very hot combined with tubes that didn't last must be a winner.
In the 1970s there was a tie up between Decca and Telefunken which saw Telefunken badged Deccas being produced. They were standard Decca chassis but some models used Telefunken tuners and channel selectors.

These sets were unmistakably Decca in appearance and the only resemblance to TFK sets was the logo on the front of the cabinet.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:53 am   #91
crusher19860138
Hexode

I had a 14" colour set made by ARO, and another one later made by Network? Can't find any references to these two makers.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 10:54 am   #92
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I only know of various B/W sets with a transformerless output stage.
The K4 has on I think.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 11:08 am   #93
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think the Boots set in post #84 was made by Fidelity in Britain.
The Decca 30/Telefunken looked quite different and more modern than the (say) CS2230 with its seven-key selector and slider controls. though these turned up in Decca's top of the range console models. I have an empty cabinet for the Telefunken knocking around. I remember the relief when visiting a customer's house to see their Telefunken and it turned out to be a nice Bradford. The 711 was never my favourite chassis.
The K70 was a great performer - well up to B&O standards - let down only by its rather spidery print and tendency for the line shift pot to burn up, and the original back to fall to pieces! The sound was excellent, though I think it was a PCL86. It was an example of great joined-up design. I had one with an audio burn up, so I substituted a transistor module with mediocre results. I also obtained a couple of K70 speakers from scrap sets to use in my car - again, very disappointing. But together - great sound.
One that I imagine is extinct is the 22" version. Oddly, it had a door over the channel selectors operated by a button. To change channel you pressed the catch, the door opened, you changed channel and closed it again. Maybe they were meant for schools or such like? Couldn't see the point myself.
The K80 (probably extinct too) wasn't nearly as good.

PS Ref post #91 - Network were a British firm that became NEI. They had a certain Grundig influence, but eventually used (I think) early Vestel chassis. The 14" colour sets had CRTs that failed after a very short time.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 1:46 pm   #94
martin.m
Hexode

My memory may be playing tricks on me regarding the K70 having a transformerless valve audio output stage. Apologies if this is the case.

Regards
Martin
Old 28th Feb 2019, 1:47 pm   #95
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickash View Post
In the 1970s there was a tie up between Decca and Telefunken which saw Telefunken badged Deccas being produced.
AEG-Telefunken had co-operated with Decca over the "Teldec" video disc recording system from the mid-1960’s the product was launched in 1970, at the Berlin TV exhibition. They also co-operated with consumer electronics, since Decca made (22” and smaller) “badge engineered” colour TV sets for AEG-Telefunken in the 1970’s. Decca also used NSF-Telefunken tuners in their UK designed and built chassis (e.g. the Bradford hybrid and the contemporary 17/20/24" hybrid UHF/625 mono sets).
Old 28th Feb 2019, 1:55 pm   #96
dazzlevision
Dekatron

The Swedish made Philips K70 26" set (model S26K497/15) gave a very good picture and sound. The audio output valve was indeed a PCL86 and a suitably large audio output transformer was used (I may still have one).

The original cream coloured plastic back cover was the subject of a safety notice published in an issue of "CES Service Link" and they supplied a grey coloured replacement free of charge.

The Luma/CDA output valves area on the main K70 PCB tended to go the way of the CDA panel in the Pye hybrid colour sets.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 2:36 pm   #97
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've seen a few Network products while looking through old Argos catalogues, often the token 12" B&W set between the small screen portables & the colour sets.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:12 pm   #98
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher19860138 View Post
I had a 14" colour set made by ARO, and another one later made by Network? Can't find any references to these two makers.
I don't know Aro, but Network is probably NEI? They also sold Indiana chassis sets.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:16 pm   #99
Gulliver
Hexode

I'm sure my gran had a Co-Op branded colour set which she rented in Yorkshire. She'd worked for the Co-Op and sometime in the early 70s gave up work, possibly when her husband passed in 1972. I recall quite a large set, 24 inch probably, the "wood veneer" look. It's tuning was always going out but the Co-Op people insisted only an engineer should retune it.

Whenever we visited from down South, my dad would retune it after gran went to bed and then detune it again for the following morning! Snowy pictures all round.

Eventually after she'd had it over a decade the Co-Op ceased renting tellies and gave her a basic but functional 20" Ferguson TX type circa 1984 which survived until 1999.

I've seen plenty of Ferguson TX televisions but not another Co-Op branded one. It had a British look about it, reminiscent of 60s Bush or 70s Decca sets.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:24 pm   #100
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Co-op sets used to be Rank supplied and could have the name 'Defiant'. These included the mono A640 and colour A823. I think I've seen a T20 series, but this time it had the Co-op badge.
Closed Thread