UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2018, 1:09 am   #81
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: The Economics Of Renting Versus Credit on TV's

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort
"Nobody has anything repaired today. The local dump has a massive skip filled with flat screen TV's that has to be replaced every few days."

Reply G6Tanuki: "I celebrate this!"

But don't forget all these flat TVs are imported and that can't be good for the balance of payments.

DFWB.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 1:16 am   #82
Refugee
Dekatron

They have also demolished all the factories that used to make consumer electronics or turned them into luxury flats.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 12:20 pm   #83
Grubhead
Heptode

Martin Dawes are still going and renting sets!
"RENTAL IS BACK"
It boast on the website!
martin dawes
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 12:49 pm   #84
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"RENTAL IS BACK!" Then good luck to them. What planet are they on, hardly anybody rents TVs these days. Do they believe droves of people will be coming into their stores to sign up for TV rental?

DFWB.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 1:04 pm   #85
Dai Corner
Hexode

Some of the car finance plans you see aren't far off rental as you keep changing the vehicle and never own it.

Also buying furniture and domestic appliances which are worn out by the time the credit is paid off.

I did rent my first CD player back in the 1980s.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 1:20 pm   #86
Refugee
Dekatron

We just buy the appliance and put the extended warranty fee into s deposit account.
Last time the washing machine blew up we had a nice upgrade and no rental company to deal with. We had the new machine delivered next day.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 1:32 pm   #87
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Martin Dawes have been around a long time, took over from his dad Fred Dawes. They used to have lots of shops, seems they only have the one in Warrington along with their head office. All sales/rental seem to to phone or internet.
Four service centres, 3 in the north of England one in Scotland.
They offer a lot in service, I don’t know any different so I will accept they do a good job.

The rental marketing is just like it used to be, change you appliance when you wish and all repairs covered.

Refugees suggestion of putting the extended warranty fee in an account is what I do..
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 1:37 pm   #88
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I am sure it was Martin Dawes that my next door neighbours son went to work for 20 or so years ago. I think they had their own training dept, presume they had internal testing as well. He did very well in the exams and was good at repairing TV’s, Videos etc.

He didn’t stay in the job, presume he thought his future was elsewhere, he is doing extremely well in the job he changed to, looks happy to.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 3:25 pm   #89
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
We've managed to reach a point where consumer-electronics are cheaper to replace-with-new rather than employing someone to waste their time repairing them...
Is it so much better that every time something fails or goes out of fashion people "waste their time" digging or drilling more stuff out of the ground, transporting it probably half way round the world several times over to refine, make into components and then into a completed item somewhere else, packing the said item and transporting it to somewhere else again, marketing and selling it, salvaging whatever can be salvaged of the former item and burying the rest? Sorry, but it seems more like monumental and unsustainable failure to me.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 4:46 pm   #90
Dai Corner
Hexode

A reflection of the different lifestyle expectations of the miners, manufacturers and transporters compared with those of the markets, sellers and consumers.

I'm getting a little to close to politics so will leave it there before I incur the moderators' displeasure!
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 11:08 pm   #91
colly0410
Pentode

A while ago at work a woman said she rented her TV & put pound coins in a meter, we'd got a TV we didn't use & offered to give it to her. She said "no thanks, putting pound coins in the meter helps us save money as we get a good rebate every month." I tried to explain the economics didn't add up but she wouldn't listen. Ended up taking old TV to tip as wife wanted it gone, I couldn't give it away..
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 12:06 am   #92
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
"RENTAL IS BACK!" Then good luck to them. What planet are they on, hardly anybody rents TVs these days. Do they believe droves of people will be coming into their stores to sign up for TV rental?

DFWB.
To be fair to them if they are offering new equipment, if you haven't got a lot of money (and in these days that's a lot of people) or on low budget, then if you want a 4K TV then renting would be the best option. Not many people have the cash to buy them outright. And have you seen the APR rates on those loan adverts!
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 12:24 am   #93
Dai Corner
Hexode

Very true. Many people don't think any further than the money coming in and going out each week. Keeping the old set, saving up what they would have paid in rental or loan repayments, buying outright and saving money in the long run just isn't on their radar.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 9:03 am   #94
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

To be honest, if you are on a tight budget and many are, do you really need a 60" 4K TV? It is hardly the priority of a young family.

Back in the shop days I would sell a reconditioned TV to young starters at around £18-20 and some years later eventually sell them their first colour receiver.

There are plenty of excellent CRT models around for nothing today that will give 100 channels with a set top box [just how much television can you watch!] but no they must have the latest superscreen model with no money to pay for it.

Such a shame that so many high quality receivers went to landfill. J.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 9:35 am   #95
FERNSEH
Dekatron

A chap came in the shop yesterday all excited because a new channel starts on Freeview. I could hardly contain my indifference.

Can you imagine if you have over a thousand rental TVs to look after and having to do tune-ins almost every week?

Evidently the new channel will be on Freeview 57.

DFWB.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 9:45 am   #96
Dai Corner
Hexode

I acquired my first LCD TV in exchange for a pint and half an hour's technical support after a relative replaced it with a huge one capable of 4K. The young man concerned is in his thirties and still living with his mother as he 'can't afford to move out'. He apparently has no savings despite working since he was 16.

The old CRT was donated to British Heart Foundation who saved me a headache by sending a two man team to collect it. I hope they made money out of it.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 10:37 am   #97
AC/HL
Dekatron

That was then. Most of us were like that. Now is now. Wall to wall advertising/peer pressure/instant expectations plus easy finance and guilt free debt coupled with the receding prospect of house ownership.
Martin Dawes aren't fools, they've presumably read the current financial cycle, and see an opening.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 1:25 pm   #98
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by colly0410 View Post
A while ago at work a woman said she rented her TV & put pound coins in a meter, we'd got a TV we didn't use & offered to give it to her. She said "no thanks, putting pound coins in the meter helps us save money as we get a good rebate every month." I tried to explain the economics didn't add up but she wouldn't listen. Ended up taking old TV to tip as wife wanted it gone, I couldn't give it away..
I had quite a few rentals out with slot meters, in fact I still have a few meters in the workshop. Some people requested them but others got them because it was the only way I could get the money out of them.

The piggy bank scenario was the same here, they were very eager to have their meters emptied as they usually got a fat rebate but I gradually changed the time they got for a pound, 50p it used to be in fact I seem to remember two shillings or even less long ago, anyway it reduced the number of trips I had to make but their rebate remained about the same.

Peter
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 4:03 pm   #99
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Someone came in the shop[ today enquiring about renting a TV for three weeks. I suggested why bother? Just go to a supermarket and buy a cheapie 32" LCD TV. A 32" LCD TV set can be had for little over 100 pounds.
I believe there are firms doing short term TV rental but it won't come cheap.
Edit: But they'd better hurry up if they want to buy a TV from Tesco Direct. It closes down on the 9th of this month.
From the Sun:
TESCO Direct is closing down next month putting 500 jobs at risk.
The supermarket is shutting down the tech, toys, clothes and homeware side of the business because it isn't making any money "despite best efforts".

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 3rd Jul 2018 at 4:20 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 4:36 pm   #100
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
We've managed to reach a point where consumer-electronics are cheaper to replace-with-new rather than employing someone to waste their time repairing them...
Is it so much better that every time something fails or goes out of fashion people "waste their time" digging or drilling more stuff out of the ground, transporting it probably half way round the world several times over to refine, make into components and then into a completed item somewhere else, packing the said item and transporting it to somewhere else again, marketing and selling it, salvaging whatever can be salvaged of the former item and burying the rest? Sorry, but it seems more like monumental and unsustainable failure to me.
Indeed. I don't think this is something to rejoice about as the hidden costs make it unsustainable in the long run. The hidden costs are only hidden since that makes some sense in our version of capitalism, but they can't remain hidden for too long. Sets will become more expensive and labour less so.
Closed Thread