UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2017, 12:28 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default Identify Ekco TV please (T345)

Hi there,
As part of the haul of tv's I collected from Pastyboy the other day, was this quite tidy 17" Ekco. Unfortunately, the back is missing so I don't know the exact model no.
It looks the same as the T344 but doesn't use that exact chassis. The chassis looks very similar to the TC346 with the three rectangular IF cans on the left hand side and the extra mains dropper.
It also has a slider switch operated from the tuner- any idea what that does? My only thought was that it has an FM radio but there does't look to be enough IF's for that.
So does anyone know what the model is likely to be?
I have just started to rebuild a Feranti T2031 which uses a very similar chassis to the T344. Sure enough it has the totally disintegrated LOPT shroud so looks like I now have 2 to make!
One problem with the above TV is that pin 4 has come off the CRT I don't have access to the pin outs for a CME1703 at the moment as I'm away. Pin 3 & 4 are linked on the tube base but I don't doubt it's pin 4 that is the important one!
Cheers Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN0296.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	137972   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN0297.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	137973   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN0298.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	137974  
Old 21st Feb 2017, 1:32 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Identify Ekco TV please

Hi Nick,

Its a T345, here is another post from Malc which may be useful if your having trouble getting the cabinet off.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=40654
The horizontal dropper serves as the heater chain dropper for the radio.
The larger diameter dual 16+16uF electrolytic in the top left will almost certainly boil on power up which is common.

Regarding the pin on the CRT, if you carefully remove the plastic pip cover, the nub of the pin can be cleaned gently using a dremel and a wire soldered on. refit the pip cover and solder the wire to the tube base. It will either be A1 or focus

Last edited by Freya; 21st Feb 2017 at 1:56 pm.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 1:40 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

That slider switch will almost certainly be for TV/VHF-FM radio changeover.

Many Ekco TVs from the mid to late 50s had this feature. My bet is that your is a model T345.

In addition, Ekco usually stamped the set model number on the chassis in large (blue ink) characters. I'd be surprised if your chassis doesn't have this somewhere.

The VHF/FM IF was the same as used for the TV sound, so doesn't produce very good results in todays rather crowded VHF band (and the three sets of VHF/FM radio turret coils in the tuner (H, L & T) only covered the then bottom end of Band II; up to around 96MHz).

If I'm correct, you should find H, L & T coils in the turret tuner.

Regards,

Dazzlevision

Last edited by dazzlevision; 21st Feb 2017 at 1:46 pm.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 11:43 pm   #4
1100 man
Octode

Ah, so its a T345. Many thanks for the info. There is indeed H, L ,T on the tuner knob- I guess that would be Home, Light & Third?
It looks like the broken pin on the CRT is pin 4, focus. Unfortunately, its broken off about 1mm below the surface so no chance of soldering anything on. Will have to see what the focus is like when I've got the rest of it working- might have to poke something down the hole...
I wrestled with the cabinet on the Feranti for a while until I eventually managed to get the thing to bits only to be confronted with a chassis mounted hard against the tube so you can't get to any components With a bit of thought, they could have made the chassis hinge away from the tube for servicing. Engineers must have cursed it at the time!
I'll be ready for this one though
I might rebuild the two sets in parallel: I can then compare results. I should be expert at making LOPT shrouds by the end of it!
Cheers Nick
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 1:22 am   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I don't remember them being too difficult to get at the back of the chassis, but then not that many components required changing.
The 27k resistor in the cathode circuit of the video output and the usual frame cathode components.
They were reliable sets.

Frank
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 1:51 am   #6
Clydeuk
Hexode

If the pin is broken off below the glass it's probably too risky to try and grind off any glass to expose something you can solder to. I wonder if you could dab some conductive paint into the hole to fill it, then maybe poke in a stiff wire and secure with epoxy.

Hope the vacuum hasn't been impaired. I guess you'll know soon enough.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 8:31 am   #7
Freya
Octode

They made it really easy to just remove the CRT for component access, the scan coils remain in position on the chassis and you only need to slacken the Rimband neck support. I can take one out in about 2 mins.
There was a post recently showing the Lopt shroud I constructed for the same chassis if you need ideas.

Found it:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=130873

Last edited by Freya; 23rd Feb 2017 at 8:56 am.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 10:52 am   #8
pastyboy
Hexode

yes its a t345, I have a bit of the back of it that is the same vent hole pattern as a thorn 1400 that I need to repair !