UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2018, 4:49 pm   #21
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Baird T5 garage find

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
I believe development of the T5 started in sometime in 1935, possibly some input from Fernseh AG.
So why bother with the 240 line option (as fitted to early HMV 900s etc) if Baird already had 405 line sets in development as early as 1935?
Old 4th Jul 2018, 5:16 pm   #22
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The characteristics of both systems was announced to the industry in 1935 and manufactures had to get on with it and design timebases that work on both standards. Obviously, Baird Television Limited were hoping the BBC would adopt their 240lines 25fps standard instead of the superior 405 line system. That didn't happen of course because of all the problems they had with the 240 line system.

I've never seen a Baird T5 with the standards switch but I notice the timebase chassis in my T23 has had provision for the extra controls.

DFWB.
Old 4th Jul 2018, 5:24 pm   #23
peter_scott
Dekatron

There wasn't a problem making receivers. I think Baird got Bush to make the T5. The problem for Baird was that he had no viable camera and mechanical scanning used in the intermediate film process and the spotlight studio was struggling even with 240 lines. He also had the Farnsworth electronic camera but it had poor sensitivity and image distortion problems.

Peter
Old 4th Jul 2018, 8:14 pm   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The 'Baird' T5 was built by Bush Radio in it's entirety. It is listed as the Baird/Bush T5 in some 1936 books. John.
Old 4th Jul 2018, 8:54 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Weren't the Baird Cathodevisor cathode ray tubes made at the Crystal Palace works? J.L.Baird experimented with the production of large CRTs.

DFWB.
Old 4th Jul 2018, 11:16 pm   #26
ianm
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
the owner claimed copyright so I didn't use them.
Isn't the individual in question no longer with us? That might sound a little 'enigmatic', so to speak.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Closed Thread