UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2016, 8:10 pm   #41
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Cavalier Loud Noise

All of the electrolytic capacitors in that circuit have their negative ends direct to chassis except C3 which has its negative end connected via R5 100 ohms to chassis.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Jan 2016, 10:16 pm   #42
Station X

Looking at the OP's pictures, I'd say that the blue electrolytic third from the left is the wrong way round. What do other member's think?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Jan 2016, 10:32 pm   #43
Herald1360
Dekatron

I'd agree that the third blue electrolytic from the left is backwards.

It's the blue electrolytic fourth from the left though since there's a black one first from left.

Quite a few of the new soldered joints also look decidedly dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue elect.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	119210  
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 29th Jan 2016 at 10:39 pm.
Old 29th Jan 2016, 10:52 pm   #44
martinpinner
Hexode

Thanks for everyone's comments. As i now know which is the correct way to fit the caps I will swap the offending caps around and also look at the joints. I will invest in some new solder as what I have been using is some years old.
Old 29th Jan 2016, 11:59 pm   #45
Michael Maurice

Old solder wont be the problem you just haven't soldered it correctly. There seems to be a number of missing components on those tag strips.

This is a picture of one I rebuilt some time ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hacker Elec 3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	119214  

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 30th Jan 2016, 12:20 am   #46
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
By the way you can use thiscartridge
Good choice, except that it doesn't appear to have the mounting bracket, which is essential.
Old 30th Jan 2016, 12:25 am   #47
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpinner View Post
I will invest in some new solder as what I have been using is some years old.
Is the solder you are using actually flux cored tin/lead electrical solder "60/40" or "63/37" or "Savbit". The joints look to be suffering from either lack of flux or lack of heat from too small an iron, or perhaps from being done with lead free solder which requires more heat anyway and is trickier to use too.

Plain solder wire won't work well on its own and the sort of flux it's used with for plumbing and the like is too corrosive for electrical work.

As far as age is concerned, some of the solder I use is probably over thirty years old- it looks a bit dull but works just fine.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Jan 2016, 4:13 am   #48
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Oddly I have a reel of fine cored solder that must be 20 years old and it too is grey and quite useless. It just melts into blobs as though all the flux has disappeared. Can't be lead free that old.
It was not the common Savbit or Ersine M/core, I suspect it came from Maplins.
Old 30th Jan 2016, 9:12 am   #49
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
There seems to be a number of missing components on those tag strips.

This is a picture of one I rebuilt some time ago.
Well spotted Michael.

It's missing at least one smoothing cap and possibly the 1.5K smoothing resistor to start with. No wonder it's noisy and new valves ain't going to cure it!

I suspect we've only been given half the story here. Perhaps there's been a previous repair or modification attempt?

When giving advice in these threads it's way too easy to assume things and only pictures tell the true story.

With the growing popularity of "vinyl" things can only get worse.

Old 30th Jan 2016, 10:50 am   #50
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Further to Michael's excellent pic, here's one I have on file of an all-original, unmessed-with GP15. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cavalier, oiriginal.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	119219  
Old 30th Jan 2016, 11:19 am   #51
Station X

Very good. Is there another electrolytic capacitor somewhere? I reckon there should be seven in all.

Old 30th Jan 2016, 12:21 pm   #52
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, it's taken 3 pages of threads to get this far and I just hope that in the meantime no money has yet been spent on valves which are unlikley to be at fault. Edward.
Old 30th Jan 2016, 1:53 pm   #53
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

To clarify (in the light of the slightly confusing exchange above) it is never correct or acceptable to install a conventional electrolytic capacitor with reversed polarity. All such capacitors will either have their polarity marked explicitly, or it can be determined from visible constructional features. Only special non-polarised types, used mainly in loudspeaker crossovers, may be installed either way round.

Depending on the capacitor's purpose in the circuit, consequences of reversed installation could include:
* Not working quite as well as it should.
* Working OK initially but failing prematurely.
* Capacitor exploding.
* Valve or transformer overheating and burnout.

Very rarely, a reversed electrolytic might give satisfactory service if the voltages involved are extemely low. I recently overhauled a chassis where the cathode bypass capacitor for a small signal triode had been installed reversed from new. The unit had worked acceptably well although the capacitor had deteriorated badly compared to the others of the same type. Had the main reservoir capacitor been reversed instead, the rectifier would probably have been destroyed at first test or the capacitor might have exploded.

Returning to the Hacker, I agree about the soldering. Many of those joints look suspect to me, because the solder has not properly flowed around both the tag and the component lead. I would recommend to the OP to get some tagstrip, lengths of wire and good quality 60/40 cored solder and practice making joints until a smooth, even, shiny result can be quickly and consistently achieved. It is a known problem when changing large numbers of components that new faults can be introduced due to bad or wrong connections, even by professionals. This is a good argument in favour of not changing parts that are in working order.
Old 30th Jan 2016, 6:45 pm   #54
martinpinner
Hexode

Thanks once again for everyone's comments. I have been using Resin Cored Solder but will obtain the recommended solder and practice as suggested. I purchased the player at an auction. It was in a filthy condition but it cleaned up OK. When I tested it and found it was not operating correctly I found the Forum and decided to have a go at repairing. From the photo's posted I will try and identify the capacitors/resistors that it is missing. With regard to Nick's photo my player does not have three of the yellow capacitors but only two which I have replaced. Is it possible to post a photo showing all three for their fitment.Thanks
Old 30th Jan 2016, 7:01 pm   #55
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

What you might have run into is an incomplete repair, modification or general tinkering by the previous owner. This can be extremely confusing if you are new to the world of electronic repair, as incorrrect wiring and component choices won't stand out in the way they do to an old hand. Rather than visually copying another chassis, might I recommend tracing out all the wiring relative to the schematic, both to discover what is amiss with your player and as an orientation exercise in working around valve circuits?
Old 1st Feb 2016, 7:53 am   #56
martinpinner
Hexode

Thanks for the advice. I have studied the photo's posted in respect of the components and layout. In comparing these to the GP15/GP42 component layouts that I have downloaded it would appear to me that these relate more to the GP42 than the GP15.
Old 1st Feb 2016, 10:22 am   #57
Station X

Quote:
With regard to Nick's photo my player does not have three of the yellow capacitors but only two which I have replaced. Is it possible to post a photo showing all three for their fitment. Thanks
The yellow capacitors are C7, C13 and C15. I see there's a note on the diagram about C15 not being fitted on some models, but this may refer to the external amp used for stereo.

Old 1st Feb 2016, 10:49 am   #58
Station X

There's something strange about this player. Looking at the OP's pictures, it's quite obvious that some of the tags on the tag strips have never had anything soldered to them, unlike the tag strips in Michael's and Nick's pictures.

Surely the tag strips haven't been replaced?

Old 1st Feb 2016, 11:58 am   #59
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Graham,
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I have studied the photo's posted in respect of the components and layout. In comparing these to the GP15/GP42 component layouts that I have downloaded it would appear to me that these relate more to the GP42 than the GP15.
It may be that my pic was indeed from a GP42 as Martin suspects, as I have both models, but it the folder on the computer was labelled "Cavalier". Sorry for the confusion if that's the case.

Here's the layout diagrams for the Cavalier from the manufacturer's manual, taken from the superb Yahoo Hacker Audio Group, and originally scanned by forum member and Hacker expert Mark Hennessey.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cav layout.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	119359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cav layout 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	119373  

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 1st Feb 2016 at 12:18 pm.
Old 1st Feb 2016, 3:50 pm   #60
martinpinner
Hexode

Thanks. Could you identify the type of C14 capacitor. Is it a silver mica and what voltage.
Closed Thread