UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2005, 12:53 am   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Pye Black Box, deck & cartridge.

Hi. Does anyone know roughly what sort of impedance the cartridge used on a Pye Black Box is? I bought one on eBay, and want to use it up at Uni.

I think it has a Monarch deck on it. Will this cut itself a groove in my nice records? I guess I will need to get a Stereo stylus, as Mono ones have a larger tip, don't they?

Hopefully once it arrives I should be able to get it working nicely and sounding good!

Sam

Last edited by Darren-UK; 30th May 2007 at 11:57 am. Reason: Spelling error corrected for benefit of search facility.
Old 10th Jan 2005, 2:50 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Black Box Questions

Hi Sam.

There were a few generations of Black Box, but typically the cartridge fitted would be something like an Acos GP67, load impedance 2M.

You'll need a stereo, or compatible, cartridge to avoid severe record damage: the old mono types are too limited in compliance (the stylus tip is relatively stiff), so styli of the required dimensions for stereo weren't made for them. Even then the playing weight will probably need to be something approaching the 6 grams or so of the original cartridge, and you might want to spare some at least of your records such treatment . The original Black Boxes use a UA6 Monarch, but whichever it is the playing arm isn't exactly a high precision instrument...

Paul
Old 14th Jan 2005, 1:00 pm   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Black Box Questions

Hi Sam, it seems you have an early version, I've attached a copy of an ad from the October 1952 "Wireless World" which shows the Monarch deck you have, I guess it pre-dates the "UA" numbering system . So it seems It was around not long after 45's and LP's were first sold in Britain. Also attached are the pages from the Radio and TV servicing book dealing with the early Black Box.

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	81   Click image for larger version

Name:	bb1.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	82   Click image for larger version

Name:	monarch.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	83  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 30th May 2007 at 12:04 pm. Reason: Brought into line with remaining posts.
Closed Thread