UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2019, 12:11 am   #1
Wellington
Hexode

Smile Radios in auction…

here.

Radiogram looks nice! (Usual disclaimer: I have no commercial connection with any of these items or the auction house).
Old 16th Feb 2019, 4:34 pm   #2
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Radios in auction…

Yes there was some nice stuff there yesterday. We live just around the corner from the auction house, there was a bit more than usual I think & it likely attracted more bidders. Certainly not sky high prices but significantly higher than last week. (I picked up an HMV Stereomaster 2412 for £15 whereas this time an arguably lower specced model 2032 fetched £42).

Still came away with a consolation Marconigram for a fiver though, even if we did miss out on the Dual/Sony/Wharfedale lot

The Radiogram I think you mentioned (lot 474?) was beautiful, listed in with the furniture strangely, looked like it had been untouched since around 1978 given the BBC frequency change newspaper clippings inside, and well worth what it sold for. Full complement of valves still present and all, If I had space I'd have bid on it!
Old 16th Feb 2019, 4:58 pm   #3
bobbyball
Octode

I used to go to this auction house nearly every week a few years ago. I found some incredible things there, and the bacon butties were worth the 50 mile round trip for!!
Eventually they sold out to property developers - the site is now a congested housing estate. They moved to premises on the other side of town but with no dedicated parking which was a nightmare, and taking a chance trying to find a space in the surrounding streets was not worth the effort. The commission rates have certainly gone up and long gone are the one or two pound bargains. Happy memories though...
Old 17th Feb 2019, 7:01 pm   #4
ekjdm14
Banned

Wow that's an interesting look back at how it used to be. I've only lived in Congleton a few years so never knew they'd moved from somewhere else. I'm guessing they used to be over near West Heath or near the Fire Station?

Commission seems to be on a par with anywhere else at 20%, still a bit steep but there are bargains still to be had even if lowest bid is a fiver. Being just round the corner, I tend to have a shufty round after the sale and see what has passed or not made reserve since they'll sell outright then, exactly how I got my low hour Ferguson 3960 and the Stereomaster
Closed Thread