UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2011, 1:58 pm   #1
D o i v e
Retired Dormant Member

Default Murphy A168 cabinet

I've been restoring my lovely old Murphy A168 cabinet, which attracted the attention of woodworm about 15 years ago. It's been thoroughly soaked in woodworm treatment, and all the resulting flight holes carefully filled with brown wood filler, which is slightly different from the veneer colour. The veneer overall is in reasonable condition, but I will need to stain the cabinet to cover the filled flight holes. What would the best stain be for a cabinet of this vintage to produce the 'correct' look? I don't want to end up with a brand new looking radio, rather keep some of the character of the old finish if possible.
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 3:44 pm   #2
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Re: Murphy A168 cabinet

I have a 'flight hole' infested Lissen - I've filled and painted the filler the same colour as the veneer (as close as I could anyway).

SEAN
Old 24th Mar 2011, 12:19 am   #3
D o i v e
Retired Dormant Member

I think I'm going to have to paint the filled flight holes, then give the whole chassis a coat of a suitable stain or paint. I want something that will still show off the veneer, and not just a plain brown surface. I was wondering what finishes others have used on similar radios?
Old 24th Mar 2011, 10:11 am   #4

Wood dyes leave the grain unlike stains that cover it. Colron do a good range.

Old 24th Mar 2011, 6:14 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

If you are keeping the original finish I would advise using wax furniture repair sticks rather than filler
Closed Thread