UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2011, 8:28 pm   #1
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default How to detach the Pye badge from the front of a wireless ?

I want to set about restoring, as far as possible, the front of a Pye wireless I've got. But before I can go any further I need to remove the Pye badge (see pic). Can anyone tell me how it's attached ? At present it tilts very slightly upwards so there's a tiny gap at the bottom between it and the veneer. If I insert the edge of a Stanley knife blade and pry very, very, gently then I can see the badge move. So it's not held there with a rigid glue. Is it like a giant drawing pin just pushed into the woodwork ? Or is there a woodscrew thread on the back ? Or is something even more fiendish going on ?

Cheers,

GJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010167.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	48477  
Old 20th Mar 2011, 8:46 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: How to detach the Pye badge from the front of a wireless ?

Press with your thumb and unscrew. If it's stuck try again with rubber glove on
Old 20th Mar 2011, 8:53 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Or get a length of nylon fishing line into the gap and use a gentle to-and-fro movement to cut gently through the glue.

Barry
Old 20th Mar 2011, 9:57 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Is there a nut inside the cabinet? I have seen badge the same as yours with a threaded rod atached. John.
Old 20th Mar 2011, 10:46 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Well ... good news and bad news.

The badge did indeed unscrew. As far as I can tell there was no glue behind it but there was a lot of what looked like compacted dust. I couldn't move it with my thumb on its own but the rubber glove trick eventually worked . Thanks for that suggestion Dave - I wouldn't have thought of that ! And thanks to John and Barry too - I'll file those away for next time I'm stuck. You can see the thread in the first pic. It looks like it would take a nut if necessary but the hole in my panel is blind.

Unfortunately when I came to look at the badge once it was loose I noticed it was damaged ! A small piece of the black material has fallen out from between the Y and the E. What's left looks like broken glass under a magnifier, so I guess it's enamel. It catches the light in an irritatingly effective way. Oh poo . I've attached a couple of pics but it's not easy to photograph.

I'm not aware that there's any way of convincingly repairing enamel. Would the best approach be a dot of black epoxy - the sort used to pot semiconductor circuits sometimes - then scrape/abrade until it's flush ? Or are there any better remedies ? Otherwise I may be reduced to posting a request in the Sets and Parts Wanted forum ...

Cheers,

GJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010168a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	48478   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010161a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	48479   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010162a.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	48480  
Old 20th Mar 2011, 11:44 pm   #6

Thats the problem with enamel (glass not paint) it has a very different expansion than the base material. Those famous Russian eggs had a habbit of spontaniously falling to bits, a very expensive thing. Try a bit of black wax, heating the badge to allow it to flow in properly, reversible too.

Old 20th Mar 2011, 11:47 pm   #7

Had a thought, remove all the enamel and replace with black epoxy, overfill and abrade with wet and dry back to the metal. Or find a local jewlery maker or school that do enamel work.

Old 21st Mar 2011, 10:59 am   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I've filled in chips like that with enamel paint. Build up enough layers to get the depth, flatten down with P1200 and then lacquer.

David
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 11:36 pm   #9
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I recon as David says fill with paint . Quick drying quick build up may be useful like a cellulose type paint .I had a similar prob with an Ekco badge on a Tv , screwing it back on too tight and there was an unpleasant popping noise
Old 5th Apr 2011, 7:20 pm   #10
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

How about black smooth Hammerite ?. If carefully applied (dropped on with the badge horizontal), it would run to the shape of the cavity, and it dries to a good hard gloss finish. -Just a thought. Tony
Closed Thread