UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2019, 3:57 pm   #1
mikko rintala
Triode

Default Avo MK4 Restoration

I am starting Avo Mk 4 for the restoration.First, the component board Assembly s 2M2 all resistor is way off so i change those. Now i ask is it an idea to replace those diodes with that board a more modern one or similar?

Best regaird Mikko from Finland

Ps. How i can add picture my text?
Old 30th Aug 2019, 5:17 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Avo MK4 Restoration

Click "Go Advanced" just under the message window. Then you get an option "Manage Attachments" to attach files of different types. Note that there are file size limits.

Craig
Old 30th Aug 2019, 10:51 pm   #3
mikko rintala
Triode

Here is the board. i think my Avo is December/1960

Best regards Mikko
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grid board Mikko.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	189171  
Old 31st Aug 2019, 7:15 am   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

OK - this is a MkIV valve tester, not a Mk4 valve voltmeter!

Those 2M2 resistors are not critical value. The diodes are used in pairs (because I assume the PIV of a single diode is not high enough), and those resistors simply ensure that the voltage is shared between them when they are in the "off" state. In other words if the leakage current of one diode of the pair is more than the other, one might exceed its PIV if the 2M2 resistors aren't there. Provided they are about the same value within a factor of 1.5 (see below), it really does not matter if they are 2M2 or 3M3 or whatever they have ended up being.

Since there is no tolerance band the resistors are +/-20% anyway!

If the unit works, or that part of the unit works, don't unnecessarily replace things.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Sawyers; 31st Aug 2019 at 7:20 am.
Closed Thread