UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2017, 7:29 pm   #1
nord1234
Retired Dormant Member

Default LNB speaker ID.

I have a pair of LNB speakers that are immaculate, like new. I like the pleasent almost neutral sound and they are easy to listen to. However, I have no idea what model they are or when they were produced. The front covers appear to be fixed on with something other than Velcro and I am reluctant to pull at them for fear of causing damage. Peering through the grills with a torch I can see what appears to be two tweeters and a bass driver. There are no markings to provide other guidance. The cabinets measure 595 x 260 x 230mm. Can anyone provide some further information.
Old 6th Apr 2017, 7:51 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: LNB speaker ID.

Co-designer Mike Batten is a member of the forum - see this thread - http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=127201 - and look for LNB Audio. I am sure he would be happy to help if you send him a PM (private message). I had a pair of LNB Paralab 20s for many years - great speakers. Yours sound like their smaller cousins. Pics would be nice to see.

Roger - welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 9th Apr 2017, 9:19 pm   #3
nord1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Roger
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. Never been on a forum before so excuse any incorrect aspects of the learning curve. I've sent the PM as advised

Bob
Old 20th Apr 2017, 9:38 am   #4
LNBAudio
Triode

@nord 1234
Hello Bob

I'm guessing that these are Lab 8 from the dimensions, and if the 260 is width (it was a long time ago!). This would probably have a KEF B200 with T27 and STC HF units

Ideally you'd need to pop the fronts off; we normally used either a plastic ball and socket at each corner, double-sided tape (earlier) or a snug fit into a rebate

If the front is a similar size to the cabinet it would be one of the first two methods, but they should all yield to a careful application of a thin table/pallette knife, although the plastic fittings might be brittle now, and the tape very messy

If the bass unit is 200mm then Lab 8, the Lab 6 used a smaller 165mm unit and has a narrower cabinet.

Regards
Mike
Old 20th Apr 2017, 9:47 am   #5
LNBAudio
Triode

Some other dimensions that might help someone:

Paralab Super (597Hx228Wx260D), Elac 165mm bass unit and KEF T27 (c.1975)

Paralab 20 series II (788Hx280Wx285D). KEF B200 bass unit and KEF T27 (c.1977)

Regards
Mike
Old 20th Apr 2017, 9:51 am   #6
nord1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your comments. Since my first post I have manged to prise of the front panels with no damage - they were attached with deteriorating double sided tape and had obviously never been removed before. I was then able to easily remove the front baffle (six slot headed domed machine screws) where I found a Goodmans 6" driver and two unnamed black enclosed tweeter units that appear to be of the same make/model, although no markings visible. Furthermore there was no filling/damping material inside. Does this narrow the model number search down?

Thanks
Bob
Old 20th Apr 2017, 3:58 pm   #7
LNBAudio
Triode

Hello Bob
First, a correction:
Quote:
I'm guessing that these are Lab 8 from the dimensions...
The passage of time...thinking about it, I don't recall a Lab 8 with three units. We did a Lab 20 with the KEF B200/T27/STC units. The 20 designation comes from the 20cm KEF B200, and the 8 designation comes from the 8" KEF B200, hence my confusion

Yours are probably early Lab 6; these had a Goodmans 6 1/2" (165mm) unit with 2x EMI HF units

The later Lab 6 also had the Goodmans 6 1/2" (hence Lab 6) and a single T27

Regards
Mike
Old 20th Apr 2017, 4:14 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Earlier you referenced an ELAC 6.5". Was this one of the last from the original Elac Company from Tottenham or the German maker?
Old 20th Apr 2017, 4:51 pm   #9
LNBAudio
Triode

Hello

The Elac units were made in a factory in Crawley, although the company was based in Tottenham

Regards
Mike
Old 21st Apr 2017, 4:43 pm   #10
nord1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the possible model no of my LNB Speakers. You say "Yours are probably early Lab 6; these had a Goodmans 6 1/2" (165mm) unit with 2x EMI HF units" and this certainly appears to fit with the units in the cabinets. However, I am unable to find similar EMI HF units while browsing the net. I shall need to post a picture next time I have a chance to pull the fronts off.
You say they are early models, would this be around the beginning of the 70's?
What superseded this model and why no wadding or similar.

Regards
Bob
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 1:55 pm   #11
LNBAudio
Triode

Hello Bob
Quote:
You say they are early models, would this be around the beginning of the 70's?
Yes, the later series II models in our range came in during 1973, which was when the single HF unit versions were launched

Quote:
What superseded this model...
Initially, the Lab 6 sII superseded your model

Quote:
...and why no wadding or similar
We started by designing and making the cabinets (only) for customers to supply their own units, filling, etc.
Then we progressed to supply complete loudspeakers with fitted units, crossovers and filling. I thought that we filled the series I Lab 6, but maybe not; some designs didn't benefit from it

Regards
Mike
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:12 pm   #12
nord1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike
Thank you for all your help in tracing the series/model of these speakers, it's nice to know that I have some early units from around the start of the LNB production period. I should imagine that there are not many of these around nowadays and I intend to look after them unmolested. Incidentally they are hooked up to my home made 22w valve amplifier and seem to complement the nice warm valve sound.

Thanks again
Bob
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 9:03 pm   #13
LNBAudio
Triode

Hello Bob

Here's some of our promotional material for the Lab 6 sII that I found earlier today. I've also got some copies of magazine reviews, however they're copyright of those magazines

Unfortunately I couldn't find any Lab 6 sI material

Regards
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LAB6.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	141364  
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 8:57 am   #14
nord1234
Retired Dormant Member