UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2017, 1:24 am   #1
davemorris
Triode

Default Pye 1005 Stereo Projection Unit Auto change problem, HELP.

I have been fortunate enough to find a beautiful Pye 1005 that is in immaculate condition, very clean and to all intents and purposes in full working order.

There is just one glitch with the auto changer mechanism.

It works and the record drops and the tone arm places the stylus on the record.
The record plays well until just before the end then it begins to jump on the last few seconds and does not complete the run out and return.
If I lift the stylus up off the record and move the tone arm a little the return kicks in and the tone arm returns to the rest position and the unit switches off.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.
I am not too bad mechanically but useless at electronic repairs..lol.
Could I get this repaired by someone else or would it prove to be very expensive?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	141185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	141186  
Old 19th Apr 2017, 8:32 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye 1005 Stereo Projection Unit Auto change problem, HELP.

Most likely caused by hardened grease in the mechanism, possibly the cam gear/trip pawl assembly which is located under the turntable. The 'sticky' threads at the head of this section explain what is involved in curing this fault.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 10:29 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Pye 1005 Stereo Projection Unit Auto change problem, HELP.

Hi,
Just as an aside:
I wonder if the colour scheme was designed to match the available BSR deck? Or did BSR make decks to match the player (less likely)?
Cheers, Pete.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 10:47 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The colours of the UA15 was a BSR standard scheme, although it has a modified tone arm from the usual version, made to Pye's specification to suit the Butterfly cartridge. The cabinet is as the UK Designer intended and the BSR deck scheme was close to it in colour.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 12:44 pm   #5
davemorris
Triode

Thank you guys for replying.

I thought it might be a gummed up works problem myself, it's great to get confirmation that it is what might be causing the problem.

I did hear that the deck in this unit is a limited edition deck, but that is only hearsay as far as I know.

I will try and find someone to repair it for me as I don't have the room to do it in my home at the moment.

Do you have any idea how much I might be charged for this kind of repair/service?
Old 19th Apr 2017, 12:59 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Finding commercial repairers is becoming more difficult with time. You could make a post in this section: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145, to see if any of our members is interested. To be honest, it's not a difficult repair, and as you are mechanically minded you would probably have little difficulty following the many relevant posts here. Your 1005 is well worth the attention.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 2:04 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemorris View Post

I thought it might be a gummed up works problem myself, it's great to get confirmation that it is what might be causing the problem.

I did hear that the deck in this unit is a limited edition deck, but that is only hearsay as far as I know.

I will try and find someone to repair it for me as I don't have the room to do it in my home at the moment.

Do you have any idea how much I might be charged for this kind of repair/service?
It is a limited edition deck as advised in my earlier Post.
It's a simple repair, the Sticky will take you through it and you will save ££££s.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 2:29 pm   #8
peter_sol
Octode

That is easy for those who have done it before, but the sticky refers to the Garrard Autoslim chassis and the BSR does not come apart like the Garrard.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 2:38 pm   #9
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemorris View Post

It is a limited edition deck as advised in my earlier Post.
It's a simple repair, the Sticky will take you through it and you will save ££££s.
Can you post a link to the sticky thread you're referring to please Edward.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 3:41 pm   #10
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
That is easy for those who have done it before, but the sticky refers to the Garrard Autoslim chassis and the BSR does not come apart like the Garrard.
It's exactly the same procedure with both BSR and Garrard decks. Remove the turntable, and the large cam, clean the trip, reassemble and the jobs done.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 7:46 pm   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Take care when removng the cam gear. Undue force can loosen the pin on which it turns. Pouring boiling water over the pin usually softens the old grease quickly, enabling the cam gear to be easily removed.
Closed Thread