UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2017, 11:04 am   #1
Dave T DJ
Triode

Default Information required re Record Player.

Anyone shed any light on the age and any more information,?

Recently took charge from my Father. He reckons this plugged in (for audio that is) in an input on his old valve radio. Runs mains and has Garrard on the pickup.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ( p.s runs 78's only )

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170312_095505.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	139125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170312_095515.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	139126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170312_095536.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	139127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170312_095550.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	139128  
Old 12th Mar 2017, 11:27 am   #2
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: Information required re Record Player.

Dates from the late 1940s. Plugs into the 'Gram' sockets on a radio, sometimes marked 'Pickup' or 'P.U.' the rubbers in the pickup head may be perished by now but usually not too difficult to replace
Old 12th Mar 2017, 12:03 pm   #3
parlourtw73vs
Pentode

The only user of the name "Antoria" that I'm aware of were a Japanese company who made copy guitars through the 70's and 80's although I can hardly believe that this is the same firm.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 12:06 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Yes - there were lots of these back in those days. Early radiograms were prohibitively expensive and one of these converted your old radio into a functional radiogram. Certainly worth exploring.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 12:19 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlourtw73vs View Post
The only user of the name "Antoria" that I'm aware of were a Japanese company who made copy guitars through the 70's and 80's although I can hardly believe that this is the same firm.
Antoria (in the UK) were an old established maker of Gramaphones, add-on Record Decks (such as yours) and complete Portable Record Players up to the mid 1950s. There is unlikely to be any connection with the Japanese company.

What do you intend to do with this? There are rather better ways of playing 78s rather than this, with its attendant record wear and the need for replaceable needles?
Old 12th Mar 2017, 2:47 pm   #6
PaulR
Dekatron

Inside the pickup head the needle holder has a pivot on either side and it slots into a piece of rubber at the top. The pivots are also damped with rubber tubing. If original all these will almost certainly have gone rock solid and will need to be replaced. There is a thread here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=121284 that has photographs and an explanation.

This Garrard deck actually plays 78s quite well.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 6:36 pm   #7
Dave T DJ
Triode

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will have a closer look at the other thread relative to this at a later stage. In reply to what am I doing with it Edward, it will remain in my possession after being my father's for many years. Also I do have a HMV 101G to play my 78's on, which in my mind is the only way to play them, so this will just add to the list of players for that purpose. Thanks again for your replies and assistance.

Dave
Old 12th Mar 2017, 7:23 pm   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

The Garrard deck is somewhat hard on 78s but the wind up 101 is even more so. Try rubbing your finger down the needle after you have played one and you will probably see a black spot which is the shellac it has worn away after only one playing.

If you get the Garrard up and running and connected to an amplifier or radio PU sockets you will probably be surprised and pleased as to how much better the 78s sound.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 2:40 pm   #9
Dave T DJ
Triode

Thanks PaulR for the information. I play my 78's with fibre needles most of the time unless I'm playing badly worn ones which I am not too worried about. I am looking forward to hearing the results from the Garrard deck, realising that it has to be better.

Thanks again
Old 21st Mar 2017, 5:04 pm   #10
Dave T DJ
Triode

Back to the subject of this player, just spent a bit of time going over it and the coil in the pickup is total shot. Not sure what it is on it but it seems to be eaten alive , I gently took apart to find this out :-( Oh well cannot win them all, my father doesn't ever recall it working properly ( he is 90 ) so it's back to the drawing board with this one, unless anyone has any ideas about a replacement ?

Dave..............working hard to retire
Old 21st Mar 2017, 8:23 pm   #11
RojDW48
Nonode

Look out for a similar scrap player. My favourite 78 player is an old bakelite cased Columbia Grafonola rim drive deck. The tonearm/cart was similarly shot and I replaced it with one from an old Decca suitcase deck which came with a Ronette cartridge. It's worth the fuss if the motor's OK and the deck is mechanically sound and quiet enough.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 9:00 pm   #12
Dave T DJ
Triode

Thanks for the info and advice,the deck and motor are both ok and in good health. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. In the mean time onward and upward.

Thanks again Dave
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 3:37 pm   #13
peter_sol
Octode

What did you intend using it with, an old valve radio?
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 5:00 pm   #14
Dave T DJ
Triode

Depends on if I can find a same type replacement. Peter ? If not I'll try a modern cartridge. It's just for my benefit and not passing on.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 5:26 pm   #15
Techman
Dekatron

You can't fit a modern cartridge in this type of arm as there's no counterbalance as such to lessen the weight at the head and the cartridge will be crushed.

You say the head is 'shot'. Do you mean the rubber suspension or that the coil is open circuit - have you checked it with a meter?
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 9:10 am   #16
Dave T DJ
Triode

The coil was totally unrecognisable, it look as if something had eaten away at it, sounds strange but thats the top line, it just perished in my hands. If I had kept it I could of posted a picture, the rubbers were brittle and I was going to replace until I noticed the coil, terrible state :-(
Old 18th Apr 2017, 8:23 am   #17
Dave T DJ
Triode

For those that are interested. Further to the life of this player. I purchased off a collection of tonearms various makes and models very cheap. Taking a chance that somewhere amongst them there would be a coil I could salvage, or an arm that could replace the existing one. Well I struck gold and found a direct replacement for the coil .
So with steady fingers I removed and replaced the existing rubbers and coil. I now have a perfectly working deck. Thanks for the advice and assistance people. ( One happy Dad as well )
Old 18th Apr 2017, 8:29 am   #18
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Thanks for this update and very well done for perseverance! Try to source some good needles. "Long Play" steel needles will play about 4 sides.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 5:19 pm   #19
PaulR
Dekatron

Good news indeed. Enjoy!
Old 19th Apr 2017, 8:35 am   #20
Dave T DJ
Triode

Reference the needles Edward, I tend to use Fibre needles a lot. I have a large collection of other needles, soft tone, med tone etc that I experiment with, but prefer the fibre ones, especially when playing my real collectables. Also I have a cutter for the said needles.

Thanks again Dave.

p.s anybody in need of spares for tone arms I have loads over.
Closed Thread