UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2011, 9:10 pm   #1
davidgem1406
Heptode

Default Marconi T10A Cabinet markings.

This is really a continuation of a post I made some time ago now.

I have just got to the point of trying to renew the missing cabinet markings for the controls, the last job to do. There were some traces of the original still remaining. These were Gold in color.

I made up the drawing I needed and turned it into a graphic of the correct size (Attached here later).

The first print was made all was looking nice. However when it was lacquered the gold color became predominantly Black. Printed cold color contains a lot of Black content. I tried it out but it could hardly be seen against the dark brown Bakelite.

I then adjusted the color more towards Yellow, therefore removing some of the Black content. I printed it out, lacquered it and latter fitted it to the cabinet. Up to the point of fitting it to the cabinet all was looking good but as soon as it was on the cabinet the text just vanished totally.

My conclusion is that it would seem that whatever light color I chose to use would just fade into oblivion against the Bakelite.

As a last try I made up one more and this time I used all Black. Produced the decal and fitted it. The Black shows up against the Bakelite. Although this is not correct I may have to settle for it.

However I can think of one more possible way round this problem. To use decal paper with a white background not transparent.
Print the background to the text the same dark brown as the Bakelite. And I think then the text could be printed in the required color.
The awkward part is to know the color reading of the Bakelite in RGB format, requiring a color meter.

I have to get more decal sheets before I can go further.

Any comments are welcome.

Regards
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi T10A Cabinet Backup.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	50086  
Old 30th Apr 2011, 3:42 pm   #2
davidgem1406
Heptode

Default Re: Marconi T10A Cabinet markings.

I now have this problem sorted, well as best I can at least.

I used a decal sheet that is white not transparent and printed it with a brown background and gold colored text. (See below)

This worked OK. However the decal does show against the cabinet but all in all I think it is a reasonable result. So this Marconi T10A is now completed.

Dave..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi T10A Cabinet.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	50357   Click image for larger version

Name:	A001-Completed.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	50358  
Closed Thread