UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2011, 10:27 pm   #1
radiotomcats
Retired Dormant Member

Default Font constructor/builder programs.

We have a problem (Houston). Seriously, With great care I decided to rinse a glass tuning dial, result? the letters and numbers rapidly started to float away. I managed to blot it dry and save enough to reconstruct it. Has any body tried a Font constructor program, I would like to 'lift' electronicly the remaning letters, I am sure I can find a complete alphabet, to make a font that I type in rather than a hugely laborious 'cut and paste' exercise. Once I have the font I can use 'Photoshop' to do the job and then print on to a transparency. The program will have to include different colours. I have spent hours trolling the web looking for a suitable font, the set is french and I suspect from the 1940s.I have scanned the remains and can 'post' if need be.
Old 19th Mar 2011, 12:40 pm   #2
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Font constructor/builder programs.

Have you tried scanning and uploading it to WhatTheFont?? You may get some kind of match there.
Old 19th Mar 2011, 9:19 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

To create a font that works properly starting just with some artwork is more difficult than you might think and is really not worth doing unless you have a serious ongoing need for it.

Get it wrong and you will spend that much time fiddling about that you might as well assemble the final result you want by cutting and pasting.

I was involved with doing this professionally, and we charged serious money (thousands) to make a font, which may give an idea of the work involved.
Old 21st Mar 2011, 6:15 pm   #4
Henenen
Tetrode

Please post your scan radiotomcats.

There's also http://www.identifont.com/identify.html if WhatTheFont doesn't crack it (it's a bit more laborious).
Old 24th Mar 2011, 7:13 pm   #5
radiotomcats
Retired Dormant Member

Re Fonts.
I have tried attach the scan I made of my damaged tuning dial.Its a large bitmap file and does not want to attach I have had a look round various font websites and I think the best bet would be one of the 'Gill sans seriph' fonts. If you would like to see the scan let me know your e-mail address.
Old 24th Mar 2011, 7:48 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If it's a .BMP file, that's why you can't attach it. You will need to convert it to one of the listed types.
Old 24th Mar 2011, 10:09 pm   #7
radiotomcats
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Dave,
I did a conversion via MS Paint and will try it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maurice2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	48662  
Old 25th Mar 2011, 5:46 am   #8
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

If you can find it, Macromedia Fontographer was a pretty good program for making your own fonts, not sure if it does Cut & paste from image files, but worth a look...
Old 25th Mar 2011, 12:02 pm   #9
markhardy
Retired Dormant Member

fontographer was an excellent piece of software, I used it loads way back in the day. I've got copies of it but they are mac versions, and require 'classic' or an OS 9 or earlier system

it won't take a scanned image though, the scanned letters need to be vectorised. adobe streamline did it really well, or these days the live trace in illustrator does it, then copy and past the vector to fontographer

if you've got a higher res version of the image I'll see what I can find - i've got around 15,000 fonts collected over 20 years of graphic design
Old 12th Apr 2011, 12:00 pm   #10
Henenen
Tetrode

Radiotomcat - Gill Sans would be a pretty close match, but it's not the font in your scan.

Here's Gill Sans: http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/gill-sans/regular/

Now look at your A - the horizontal bar is really low. Also, in your N the diagonal doesn't join the bottom of the right vertical bar. The Y is also different.

A, G, K, Q, S are good letters to compare when trying to match fonts - they each have unique properties that change from font to font (eg the tail on the Q).

If you email me a higher resolution scan (any format will do) I can look closer through our old font books at work. (will PM you my address)
Old 12th Apr 2011, 5:28 pm   #11
brenellic2000
Octode

An artist friend of mine built up his own vector font in Adobe Photoshop, but you need to know what you are doing artistically - and its slow process.

I suggest you use a standard font which is 'as close as' - and that probably means using Adobe fonts and not Microsoft look-a-likes - the closest matching will be the Linotype and Monotype printer's fonts widely used in Postcript files... and again these were mainly found in Mac based Corel/Adobe programs. Microsoft always was naff when it came to publishing!

Bring back Letraset!

Barry
Closed Thread