UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2019, 12:33 pm   #61
unixmanuk
Pentode

Default Re: CRT implosion

Don't forget that quite apart from the obvious dangers of flying glass if one is destroyed violently, there will likely be a cloud of phosphor dust released as well which one would be well advised to avoid breathing in...
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:08 pm   #62
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionburn View Post
I remember getting rid of the vacuum in a tube a number of times back in the day (more modern tubes) by the usual method of pliers on the nipple...
Sounds like an opportunity to demonstrate air has weight! Put the tube on weighing scales, break the nipple, see how much the weight increases by. (I'd estimate about 10g so sensitive scales would be needed).

And yes, I've broken TV tubes in my teens, favourite method was throw a hammer at the screen from behind a door and then duck back while in flight.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:27 pm   #63
KeithsTV
Nonode

My first experience of CRT disposal was when my bother and I and several of the neighbours kids started throwing things at the back of a scrap TV. Most of us missed the CRT but one fir cone hit the tube base and we heard a crack. Knowing it could implode we all stood transfixed, not daring to move as we waited for the big bang. Eventually I walked carefully up to the TV and pulled the remains of the tube neck from the scan coils.

Later tubes were disposed of on waste ground behind our garden. Me and my mate would place the tube on the ground face down then stand some distance away and lob stones at it until one of us hit the tube. If it was hit in the right place we didn't need to clear up the mess! On one occasion some of the local kids saw what we were doing and one of them picked up a large brick, stood over the tube and we just managed to stop him from dropping the brick on the tube. We then disposed of the tube in our "normal" way showing him the error of his ways.

Keith
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:46 pm   #64
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
Having grown up in the '80s/'90s I've not had quite the same fun with imploding CRT's (most of them probably popped by Mark by that time! ) but one memorable one that created a helluva bang in my late teens was a c26" set I found in a skip & duly took down the back lanes to some waste ground with a couple of huge rockets (it being November). The rockets were inserted into holes broken through the top of the cabinet and blue touch paper lit, whence I retreated to behind a car door about 50 foot away.

My ears were ringing for a while after and pieces of glass and plastic rained down for a solid 20 seconds, my only regret (apart from the environmental ones now) was that I didn't have the set playing when it exploded!
Haha good one. From this thread, I cannot decide if it's comforting... or alarming to know that as youngsters we were all doing the same sort of thing LOL.

The 'fallout' from this was that I became interested in vacuums, air pressures etc, something that my other school chums were completely oblivious to,they were still playing with toys for heaven's sake.

Old 29th Jul 2019, 2:33 pm   #65
Ambientnoise
Heptode

These tales are highly amusing and they make me wonder what my grandchildren are up to in the absence of CRTs !

Ken
Old 29th Jul 2019, 3:24 pm   #66
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
The 'fallout' from this was that I became interested in vacuums, air pressures etc, something that my other school chums were completely oblivious to,they were still playing with toys for heaven's sake..
Pedantry again from me... The plural of "vacuum" is "vacua", unless you are of course referring to suction-cleaners, commonly referred to as "Hoovers"
Rhetorical question - can you have a plural of "vacuum", considering it is an absence of something?
Colin.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 3:31 pm   #67
Maarten
Dekatron

You can also have a whole lot of nothing

I'm not sure about the plural of vacuum though. If it isn't a word taken from Latin, Latin rules don't apply. https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/7...correctly.html seems to think it came from Dutch, so now I'll have to research where we took it from. In Dutch the plural is vacuums I think.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 3:35 pm   #68
KeithsTV
Nonode

I took a scrap 25" colour tube still in the TV case to the local tip. I wanted to keep the case but it was a convenient way to transport it. As I drove into the tip someone spotted the TV case and said does it work? No said I at which point he lost interest. I then undid the bolts holding the tube into the case and started lifting it out very carefully at which point he returned, picked up the tube and flung it onto the tip. I didn't see what happened as I'd turned my back and was starting to run in the opposite direction!

When I remember all the things we did as kids, at home and at school, it's a wonder that we survived but having seen CRTs imploding we got to respect them and learned how to handle, or how not to handle, them along with all the other things that would have H&S breathing down our necks these days.

Keith
Old 30th Jul 2019, 6:43 pm   #69
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
And yes, I've broken TV tubes in my teens, favourite method was throw a hammer at the screen from behind a door and then duck back while in flight.
I did that and the darn screen didn't break, making it even more dangerous.

My first CRT destruction was when I was 10 - I guess - and don't laugh, I strung a 5 pound club hammer up to the ceiling on string aimed at the neck, let go and ran. No bang. Of course it missed... it worked second time, and was all quite an anticlimax.
Old 30th Jul 2019, 6:51 pm   #70
electronicskip
Nonode

We used to get a few old tubes from the local TV shop (Sandels in Chipping Norton for those who remember them) and carry them to the bottom of my garden and lug bricks at the tube necks and run like heck!

My mum was not best pleased at the mess in her garden of course.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 10:05 am   #71
kalee20
Dekatron

There was a Mullard 'Valves, Tubes, and Circuits' issue which featured the implosion-proof, bonded-on rimband, 'Direct Vision Picture Tubes' and described tests that Mullard did to try to create drama.

I seem to remember they squirted liquid nitrogen at the faceplate, ignited Thermite on the surface, swung a pendulum with a heavy weight, and simulated the TV getting hot in a burning room and then being hosed by firefighters. They reckon no flying glass occurred. Which is highly satisfactory, though probably a bit disappointingly boring!
Old 31st Jul 2019, 10:42 am   #72
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The rather intimidating 15" CRT in the Baird T23. The tube has to come out so that the base connections can be examined.
The set is being used to test the chassis units from the Baird T5 which is the subject of another topic in the Forum.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BairdT23CRT.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	187618  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 11:06 am   #73
sortedradio
Heptode

I have being following the Baird T23 thread with interest. I think I will "have a play" with my 1950s sets before daring to tackle anything like that monster. You must have nerves of steel!

I must say I am reassured by this thread as there have been know injuries reported so far. I now have my protective kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6081.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	187623  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 11:12 am   #74
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Out of interest Martin, what gear do you wear now?
Old 31st Jul 2019, 11:36 am   #75
sortedradio
Heptode

I have just bought a pair of goggles and a face shield, along with a pair of glove, pictured in the last post. As I've got older I have become more cautious regarding safety, when I was younger I felt indestructible!
Old 31st Jul 2019, 11:51 am   #76
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Good move Martin I have those here.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:09 pm   #77
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Ref to post #72. This afternoon I summoned up the courage to remove the CRT from the T23. After disconnecting the three wires on the tube base it should be a simple matter of lifting the tube out of it's cradle. But this didn't happen, the tube was eased upwards but wouldn't go further, something was preventing easy removal. Then I remembered the tube must come out along with the special adaptor plate. Remove the four 2BA nuts and then use the adaptor plate to lift tube out of the cabinet. Simples.
The tricky bit comes when the tube has to be reinstalled.
The Baird T23 was modified to accept the 15" Cossor 3265 or 65K CRT.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BairdT23CRT_2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	187655   Click image for larger version

Name:	BairdT23CRT_3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	187656  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:21 pm   #78
sortedradio
Heptode

That tube neck looks awfully long and thin! Is the cloth jacket around the tube for protection?
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:44 pm   #79
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Martin, all the pre-war 15" Cossor CRTs have that cloth on the bulb. I'm sure it will afford some protection from implosion.
However, the earlier Cossor 14" electrostatic deflection tube doesn't have any protection around the bulb and it sure does look scary. When I return to the shop I'll take a picture of the CRT that's in the Cossor 137T.

DFWB.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 10:34 pm   #80
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

What a carry on, all over an oversize electric light bulb. I can't imagine that cloth bag doing much if it went pop! I thought all you guys up North were macho men.

Looks like a medieval form of chastity belt or is that just the way my mind works. I have an old brass diving suit if you've become frightened David. I bit awkward to work in but at least it might protect you from an implosion. It won't protect your workshop or Jimmy's cat should it enter your workplace at the wrong moment.

Let me know if you want it and I can send it LNER to arrive at Gatehead station, that is if it is still there. Take care with it... John.
Closed Thread