UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2010, 3:53 pm   #1
Monteey
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bell Gong/Striker Spacing

Hi
This may seem like a bit of a silly question, but im curious to know what is classed as the optimum spacing at rest between the bell striker and the gong on a 746.
Currently when refurbishing them i tend to leave a 1-2mm gap between the striker pushed to its limit manually on the coil, and the gong itself, is this wrong, should it be in contact with the gong on its limit or should the gaps be different for each gong?
Adjusting the spacing obviously makes a difference in the volume of the bell but im finding if its done wrongly the phone sounds more like its brrr-ing instead of ringing!

Many thanks for any replies, hope ive made sense!
Old 30th Nov 2010, 4:59 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Bell Gong/Striker Spacing

I would adjust the gongs such that operating the armature smartly by finger (the armature is the bit that pivots on the end of the bobbins, and is attached to the hammer) causes the hammer to strike the gong and lift off immediately to rest, i.e: the hammer will be attracted to travel to hit the gong beyond its 'rest' position.

If you then move the armature softly, the hammer should not touch the bells. There is scope for adjustment of the magnet in the 59A bellset - can be set up for 50Hz, for example - but if it hasn't been tampered with in the past, I would limit your adjustment to the gongs themselves. There's a good bit here about bell adjustment. Your available ringing current will make a difference as well, especially if it's very weak.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread