UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2010, 4:53 pm   #21
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO 706L not dialing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
The solution may be to purchase and install a [url=http://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html]
Not quite as elegant, perhaps, but there used to be a gadget available, about the size of a small calculator, that stored telephone numbers and could be placed over the mouthpiece of a telephone so providing DTMF acoustic coupling between the gadget and the mouthpiece.

The numbers would be displayed (I think about 100 numbers could be stored) and dialled at the touch of a button. Mine was made by Zeon.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 10th Nov 2010, 5:29 pm   #22
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantaus View Post
Any advance on this point?

I hear the tap tap tap on the phone but dialing out is still impossible, are there any other options or is this due to the exchange not accepting pulse dialing?
Yep, your exchange does not accept Pulse dialling, solution I can think of is one of them converters already mentioned, a tone generator (I used to have one, basically a keypad you sat on the microphone and dialled from there), an old Motorola mobile phone which plays DTMF tones when the numeric keys are pressed (Not elegant, but it does work, seriously!!!), or possibly getting an older PBX phone system that'll accept pulse dialling and transmits tone dialling...
Old 10th Nov 2010, 7:54 pm   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

See below for a simpler version with no memory. You simply place the ring shown on the rear against the telephone mouthpiece an dial the number using the keypad on the front.

I would, however, give a word of caution. I have never managed to make mine work reliably with a telephone using a carbon granule transmitter. You may need to use the electronic replacement transmitter (if your 'phone doesn't already have one) if you go down this route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telephone dialler (front).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	42554   Click image for larger version

Name:	telephone dialler (back).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	42555  
Old 10th Nov 2010, 8:17 pm   #24
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

That's basically the same device I had years ago, only the one I had was BT branded...

Last edited by Dave Moll; 10th Nov 2010 at 8:20 pm. Reason: unnecessary to quote preceding post in full
Old 10th Nov 2010, 9:15 pm   #25
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
...Yep, your exchange does not accept Pulse dialling,....
Although this could well be that case, I don't know of any public exchanges that are exclusively configured for tone dialling at the moment, as xantaus has already mentioned their service provider is Virgin Media and many VM legacy switches (exchanges) are very fussy about correct dial speed when accepting pulse trains instead of DTMF trains.
Also if the "tapatapa" test is done with another phone off hook (as it has to be) the pulse train will not be fed in to the digit register in the switch anyway, as the other telephone on the line has already looped the circuit and, as pulse dialling relies on the circuit being broken and remade (i.e. dial pulses), any pulses will not be seen due to the continuous loop on the line provided via the other telephone.

It's also very unlikely that every customer in the same VM franchise as xantaus is using a Tone dialling phone, the service provider may recommend use of them but cannot enforce this.

Another possibility, and one that will only manifest itself with a pulse dialling telephone is that the VDR, that is now fitted in the newer master sockets instead of a spark arrestor, has developed a fault and is snubbing the dial pulses.

Regards
Andrew
Old 10th Nov 2010, 9:47 pm   #26
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

The only problem with Cable exchanges is they don't have to offer Pulse dial services, they're not bound like BT are to maintain the use of the Loop-Disconnect standard...

I suppose one other way to test is if there is another phone in the house (or to hand) which is electronical that can be switched from MF to LD, then try that, given how electronic dialling phones can provide a more uniform pulse over an older mechanical phone, then this could define whether or not the line is able to support the LD standard...

If there's no phone to hand, then a phone that can be switched between MF and LD can be had for pennies...
Old 13th Nov 2010, 5:37 pm   #27
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Posts discussing pulse-to-tone converters have been move to a separate thread.