UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2019, 4:18 pm   #21
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Re: Will these old tapes be playable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gittins View Post
(speeds can be corrected in software if necessary).
This is something new to me Simon, v. interesting. Do you have any links to where I may find to to do this? Thanks
Tony
Old 16th Aug 2019, 8:37 pm   #22
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Audacity is a free program that can do this using the speed control (changing pitch and tempo just like changing speed on a tape recorder). If a tape was recorded at 7 1/2 IPS and a machine with only 3 3/4 IPS is available, Audacity can record from the low speed machine and then the replay speed can be set to double.

The link below covers changing speed with or without a change of pitch.

https://www.lifewire.com/audacity-tu...-pitch-2438167
Old 16th Aug 2019, 9:32 pm   #23
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks for the steer, Simon. Had quite forgotten about Audacity which I use regularly if infrequently. A great program with more features than I will ever use. I believe the speed changer will be fine though I've gotten mediocre results with Pitch Change and poor with removing the vocals from a music piece. Understandable this since the signals are all buried together in an analogue single track recording
Rgds
Tony
Old 16th Aug 2019, 10:29 pm   #24
ricard
Octode

Pitch changing in Audacity should work fine, however, since the playback tone correction curves don't necessarily follow the same octave (1:2 ratio) change as the actual speed, the tone correction will be slightly incorrect after a pitch change. This could be corrected with a subsequent equalization; someone may even have calculated the required equalization required. The discrepancy is not that large so it will not be that noticeable on man recordings though.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 10:47 pm   #25
ben
Dekatron

I use this all the time. From the 'Effect' menu use 'change speed'. I often digitize spoken word tapes recorded at 1 7/8 or 3 3/4 ips by playing them into the PC at 7 1/2 ips then selecting 0.500 in the 'speed multiplier' box to reduce the speed. (1.500 would double it). Fine for speech, music would be more problematical for EQ reasons stated above.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 12:29 am   #26
hillmanie
Pentode

Will give it a go anon
TT
Old 4th Oct 2019, 9:16 pm   #27
hillmanie
Pentode

Success has been my experience too. Tapes recorded in 1963 still play well on a twin track machine. Recording was on Civic (Collaro Studio deck two track) On this recrdr they are now playing back too fast. A knowledgeable friend suggests that the surface of the pinchwheel has hardened allowing slip and giving the take up reel a too free ride
TT
Closed Thread