UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2006, 8:00 pm   #1
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Pye V4 Sync Discriminator Diodes

The V4/V7 uses a twin diode discriminator to measure the drift between pulses from the LOPT and the line sync pulses from the sync separator. The resulting voltage is used to pull the line oscillator back into step. My set suddenly lost all line sync and I have checked the diodes which are listed as M3s. One has nearly infinite forward resistance on the Ohmsx100 range of an AVO 8. The other looks much more like a diode with forward resistance of a few K. Any ideas of what I could use as a replacement please or are M3s still available?
Nigel
Old 17th Jul 2006, 10:34 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye V4 Sync Discriminator Diodes

Hello,
The M3 'metal pea' diodes have not been available for a long time. Any small silicon diodes such as a pair of 1N4001 series will make a good replacement. Regards John
Old 17th Jul 2006, 10:51 pm   #3
ronbryan
Octode

Hi Nigel

I've got some unused M3s diodes if you want them.

Ron
Old 18th Jul 2006, 8:16 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Ron,
Its a long time since I saw a new one of those! They may be a bit variable due to age. They consisted of a couple of circular selenium rectifier units squeezed into the aluminium case. Contact was not the best when new and caused Pye horrendous problems in the V4 and V14C line sync circuit. They would keep the chassis looking original if a reasonably well matched pair could be found. Regards John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 18th Jul 2006 at 8:30 am.
Old 18th Jul 2006, 9:36 am   #5
Ghostuser
Pentode

Hi to All,
Thanks for the info, particularly that M3s were pretty unreliable when new and why. I have the Pye service book for the V4 and in case of loss of line sync, it immediately points the finger at the discriminator diodes, so that bears out John's comments. I have had to replace all Hunts caps under chassis, as I don't know how to rebuild moldseals in the way that one can with card tube waxed paper caps. Therefore, originality of appearance is not an issue with this set. Given the uncertainty of matching a pair of M3s, I will try a couple of silicon diodes. I have some 1N4007s to hand, although they are probably an overkill, but I will try those. If there is no joy, I will take up Ron's offer.
The forum never fails to please.
Regards
Nigel
Old 18th Jul 2006, 12:19 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Nigel, it may be better to use Ge diodes or lower voltage types such as 1N4001. The forward voltage of 1N4007's may be too high for good operation.

Ed
Old 18th Jul 2006, 12:56 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning
it may be better to use Ge diodes or lower voltage types such as 1N4001. The forward voltage of 1N4007's may be too high for good operation.
I agree that Ge or schottky diodes will have a lower voltage drop than ordinary silicon diodes. I'm not at all sure that a 1N4007 will have a greater drop than a 1N4001. I tested a few rectifier diodes at random from my drawer and they all seemed to be around 0.5V drop at the rather low current my DMM uses for diode testing. I was a bit surprised at how low this was - I was expecting 0.6V to 0.7V. Obviously the drop will be greater when they are handling "real" current.

The possible objection to 1N400x series diodes is that they are not designed for high frequency. 10kHz is high frequency in this context. The slow turn off time may give poor performance.

I don't know what sort of voltage rating is needed in this circuit but provided it's adequate you certainly won't do any harm by trying what you've got in your junk box. If it works then you've solved the problem.
Old 18th Jul 2006, 1:37 pm   #8
Ghostuser
Pentode

The 1N4007s have done the trick! Line hold is rock solid and there was no need to touch the preset line hold adjustment, so the line oscillator is getting the average voltage it expects. As to the question of high frequency operation, I gather that the junction capacitance is only about 15pF, for what that is worth.
Thanks to all for the very helpful advice.
Regards
Nigel
Old 18th Jul 2006, 2:36 pm   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostuser
As to the question of high frequency operation, I gather that the junction capacitance is only about 15pF, for what that is worth.
It's not the capacitance that hurts at 10kHz. The problem is that it takes time for the holes and electrons to vacate the junction area and that delays the switch off. That's a really appalling simplified explanation but it's too hot to do it any better.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it working and also for proving that 1N400x are a good substitute for those discriminator diodes.
Old 18th Jul 2006, 5:19 pm   #10
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Don't apologise for the simple explanation, Jeffrey: that's about the level some of us pre-transistor types can absorb. (But I sympathise with the flywheel problem - horror movies from my youth !)
Closed Thread