UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2006, 6:36 pm   #1
Giulio Maiocco
Tetrode

Default Italian Philips TV back from the Hell!!

Hi everybody,

I would like to share with you few photos I just taken of my new "toy", a Philips dual chassis from 1955. It arrived about a month ago smashed after waiting 3 month for the seller to properly pack it. The Bartolini express courier managed to smash the CRT (an MW 43-64), the back cover and damaged the wood cabinet (a rectangular hole on the top of the cabinet ). Well, after a good hard work I resurrected it!! I had a spare very strong emission CRT on a junker TV, I had to hand-rewind the power autotransformer, not so difficult, and the major work was to restuff the electrolytic cap can, but I think it was worth the effort I put on it...

Oh,almost forgetting: the screen shot were taken with brightness and contrast controls set midway

I only need an UHF to VHF converter as my other one is with my '54 Geloso at my friend's house to have the IFs realigned...

Enjoy the photos and please let me know (sincerely) what do you think about my work

Giulio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philchassis1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	4269   Click image for larger version

Name:	philchassis2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	4270   Click image for larger version

Name:	philcond01.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	4271   Click image for larger version

Name:	philfront.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	4272   Click image for larger version

Name:	philfront01.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	4273  

Old 21st Jun 2006, 6:40 pm   #2
Giulio Maiocco
Tetrode

And other photos....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phillopt.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	4274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philscr01.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	4275   Click image for larger version

Name:	philscr02.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	4276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philscr03.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	4277   Click image for larger version

Name:	danni TV Philips 009.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	4278  

Old 21st Jun 2006, 6:41 pm   #3
Courtney Louise
Octode

Default Re: Italian Philips TV back from the Hell!!

Hi Giulio,

Sorry to hear about your packing issues but that chassis looks amazingly clean for its age. It looks like a nice set. I have a 17" philips here but its full of very odd looking black caps which I havent looked at yet. Are they as bad as the hunts ones from England?

Nice set..

Andi
Old 21st Jun 2006, 6:47 pm   #4
Giulio Maiocco
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl Ayari
Hi Giulio,

Sorry to hear about your packing issues but that chassis looks amazingly clean for its age. It looks like a nice set. I have a 17" philips here but its full of very odd looking black caps which I havent looked at yet. Are they as bad as the hunts ones from England?

Nice set..

Andi
Hi Andy,

Those capacitors are paper with soft tar on the outside, I don't trust them, so I replace them automatically and yes, they are quite bad, they are almost always way (electrically) leaky, I never encountered a good one

I have only done a cleaning to the chassis with fuel lighter, but I'm happy with the results!!

Thanks for you reply!

Giulio Maiocco
Old 21st Jun 2006, 8:09 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

This may be a silly question, but how many lines does the TV use? You said it required a UHF - VHF Converter. Does this mean it is a 441-line TV, or did Italy use 625-lines on VHF (System B, C, D)?

Sam
Old 21st Jun 2006, 8:31 pm   #6
Giulio Maiocco
Tetrode

Hi Sam,

No silly questions here, the only stupid question is the one not asked!!

Italian standard is based on 625 lines system, the first broadcast stations were transmitted on VHF frequencies, but later (early '60s, maybe a little earlier) they were transferred on UHF frequencies. As a matter of facts today you have no stations on the VHF band and an UHF to VHF converter is needed... Each VHF channel was identified with letters from A to H, but some manufacturers used numbers instead of letters, as in this Philips..

Hope this shed some light, unfortunately the English is not my main language

Giulio Maiocco
Old 21st Jun 2006, 9:11 pm   #7
Sam
Hexode

Thank-you for the reply Giulio - it cleared up my question (your English is better than my Italian!). It does sound as if owning an old Italian TV is less of a hassle than owning an old British TV as the converter only needs to change the frequency from UHF to VHF!

That Philips is a very nice looking set - maybe Contintinental TVs will become another area of collecting for me.

Sam
Old 24th Jun 2006, 5:59 pm   #8
Giulio Maiocco
Tetrode

Hi, I'm back again with this little update

I found in my spares an UHF converter, I connected it to my Philips and voilĂ , great images ready to be seen.. I was rather surprised about the non criticallity (sp?) of the mod, as I was worried the alignment would go nuts with the converter

I have to discover why the vert sync is a little unstable on the first fifteen minutes of operation and where the EHT sometimes discharges with a quite loud bang and I'm set!!

So far I'm very happy with the results

The image quality is much better than you could see on the photos

Giulio Maiocco
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tvphil1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	4316   Click image for larger version

Name:	tvphil2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	4317   Click image for larger version

Name:	tvphil3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4318   Click image for larger version

Name:	tvphil4.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	4319  
Old 26th Jun 2006, 3:58 pm   #9
boiss
Pentode

Well done, Good to see an old timer brought back to life. By the way I have an old Philips chassis 17TI 183A, this has a UHF tuner which is no longer attached, I kept the chassis just for the 50s components. The only bit I was realy interested in was the audio OP transformer. If there is anything that you need please let me know. I am in Liguria (Loano) by the way.
Regards,
Boiss.
Old 26th Jun 2006, 4:10 pm   #10
boiss
Pentode

One Thing I forgot, Our main RAI 1 TV channel in Liguria is in "VHF" and it's channel H horizontally polarised from Genova, Monte Fasce. On modern TVs it's channel 20. There are also several repeaters locally on channels E and F with Vertical polarisation. There is another VHF channel on H2 from a private station again from Monte Fasce.
Cheers,
Boiss.
Old 26th Jun 2006, 4:14 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
This may be a silly question, but how many lines does the TV use? You said it required a UHF - VHF Converter. Does this mean it is a 441-line TV, or did Italy use 625-lines on VHF (System B, C, D)?
Sam, I think there was some experimental stuff before and during the war in Italy using the German 441 line system, but everybody apart from Britain and France launched 625 line VHF systems postwar. Britain stuck to 405 because of the prewar installed base, and the French used 819 because they're - well - French The Irish ran a dual 405/625 system for a while because of the large number of UK spec TVs bought in Ireland to watch the BBC before they started.

Paul
Closed Thread