UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2019, 3:30 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Sony CV-2100CE Serial Numbers

Hi all,
I have one of these open reel sony VTRs. I picked it up a while back but never really done anything with it although it is working quite well. I am interested to know how early in the production run it is as this one has a serial number of 1215, and inside the case is marked 215 in chalk/white pencil.

I'm unsure of the method sony used for their serial numbers, is this one likely to be an early production machine or is it just a coincidence that the number looks relatively low?

It's quite a battered example externally, it was used in a school by the looks of things and then by an amateur radio enthusiast by looking at the supplied tape. It needs some fixings that have gone missing and the plastic feet are damaged and need reproducing but the inside and workings are in great shape.

I'm just interested to know as it crossed my mind, but I have no idea as to how early or late it really is.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 4:21 pm   #2
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Sony CV-2100CE Serial Numbers

Hi EF80,
Worth re-reading this thread where we discussed serial numbers. They generally seem to be 5 digits so if yours is only four, it's probably pretty early.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=131329

I can't remember what the difference is between the 'CE' & the 'ACE' versions, but as I mentioned, I still have my ACE machine.

I also have the full Sony service manual if you need any information from it.

All the best
Nick
Old 17th Mar 2019, 4:55 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

They might have started couting at 1001, so yours would in that case the 215th machine manufactured.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 11:51 pm   #4
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks for the replies, I think the difference mainly between the CE and ACE was the skew function fitted to the ACE, I think this was to help with tracking for tapes recorded on another CV2100 as the CE can struggle with this. I did think the serial numbers started with 1001 but I'm not too sure. I wonder how many they managed to make a day? or how early into production this machine was made if this is the case, I will have a look and see if it has any of the revisions missing as I have some service info here.

I've also attached a photo of the serial number plate, I'll get some of the machine when I get it out and on the bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190320_135653.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	180273  
Closed Thread