UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2017, 4:39 pm   #21
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Murphy A122

You are just a few clicks of the wave change switches away from a lovely pair of amplified speakers when you are on U-tube.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 5:44 pm   #22
Geoff 555
Heptode

Ken that cabinet looks smashing, well done.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 4:56 pm   #23
MurphyNut
Heptode

The A122 model was the first Murphy set I got (and still have it) I had a number of other makes before that but when I got the Murphy I really felt like I'd got something rather special, unusual styling and very well made. I was lucky it worked well too and it easily surpassed the other sets in sounds quality. No turning back after that!
The only thing that lets these 1940's Murphy sets down is the rubber insulation drying out. The earlier sets used a much more resilient fabric type of insulation that lasts much better.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 7:08 pm   #24
Panrock
Nonode

This restored A122 has been my workshop 'hack' radio for many years and has been totally reliable.

Meanwhile, back in 1966, which was my first radio, given me by a family friend? You guessed it - another Murphy A122!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8895.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	153031  
Old 5th Dec 2017, 1:38 am   #25
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi Ken.

Well done, that's brilliant, it's making me want to check mine over. There is just one thing I was a little curious about, I noticed that for those paper in oil capacitors at around 0.1uF (I think) you have used the yellow foil wound polypropelene types, as direct replacements, will that effect the performance in any way? (Great job though looks perfect).

Paul.
Old 5th Dec 2017, 11:36 am   #26
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Murphy A122

Hi,
The A122s that I've got have a pair of terminals on the mains transformer that are marked 'motor' and, obviously, these were meant to power a record deck.
This begs the question: Was the A122 chassis also used in a radiogram, or just the transformer?
Cheers, Pete
Old 5th Dec 2017, 11:44 am   #27
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Hi Paul.
Yes the new plastic caps will affect the performance, they will work better than the old ones and avoid damage to other components!
Capacitors have developed a long way forward since these sets were made, Murphy may have used the best that they could get at a price at the time, today they would use the plastic yellow perils just like us.
Old 5th Dec 2017, 12:18 pm   #28
MurphyNut
Heptode

I've found it curious that Murphy brought out a A122M two years later in 1949, it seems to have an identical chassis but slightly diferent styling.
Both sets are excellent I don't think the A122M looks quite as good as the earlier version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07487.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	153412  
Old 5th Dec 2017, 12:56 pm   #29
Stylo N M
Heptode

Thank you Sam, now I really want to start checking mine over

Paul.