UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2016, 9:04 am   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default A807 Lubrication

Hi all,
I am in the process of servicing a Studer A807 MkII studio tape deck. There is requirement specified in the SM for a liquid grease that is specified as Constant GLY 2100 (the Studer part number is 20.020.401.10).
Would any of you knowledgeable people have any idea where I can get some from. Its to lubricate the capstan motor shaft and is particularly specified for the capstan motor that is fitted.
I've looked online and there is a Company called Kluber but it seems the smallest amount is $167.00 for a 25lt pail! I need one drop once a year so I think a pail would be a bit overkill.
Mike
Old 7th Sep 2016, 11:33 am   #2
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Re: A807 Lubrication

Not to worry chaps. I've found that Nagravox in Australia do small quantities of the correct stuff. Reasonable to buy but expensive to ship. Trouble is, it's a must have lubricant and it's cheaper than a ruined motor.
Mike
Old 11th Sep 2016, 6:32 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I use liquid grease to lubricate bike chains. It's white and comes in an aerosol. Whilst not GLY 2100 I would have thought you could use something near to it, if one drop is all you need. This is the same with my motor bike, I cant afford the recommended oil as specified by Yamaha, which is only some deal they have with Brand X. You also see 30w 40 or whatever sold as Goldring/Rega/Panasonic/etc turntable lubricating oil.

So what I'm saying in a long winded way is. its ok to use brand X as long as it's spec's like temp etc are the same or near.

Andy
Old 11th Sep 2016, 8:48 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

It's usually a case of avoiding engine oils. They include a 'package' of additives to combat combustion products in the engine. The additives can be a problem for longer-life applications in less aggressive applications.

David
Old 13th Sep 2016, 10:49 am   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

Here's some oiling instructions for the famous Nagra 4.2 film recorder from its designer Stefan Kudelski:

For other oiling points, use an oil designed for aviation instruments, such as Isoflex PDP65 from
Klüber-Munich, or P10 from the Bendix Aviation Corporation, USA;

but once again, for recorders
not to be used in very low temperatures, any good sewing machine oil should be acceptable.

I guess manufacturers can sometimes quote the most exotic lubricant to cover extreme operating conditions but sometimes as here, they also cite a "garden variety" lubricant for less severe conditions.
Old 13th Sep 2016, 3:49 pm   #6
P.Pilcher
Pentode

Think yourself lucky! Any helicopter maintenance engineer will tell you about some of the hugely expensive exotic lubricants required by the manufacturer for the rotor systems and certain controls. If you don't use them then your certificate of airworthiness is invalidated so you can't fly!

P.P.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 11:00 pm   #7
Linnovice
Hexode

I'm sure in certain cases a more general oil can be substituted for various purposes. I'm equally sure that if Studer designed a capstan motor to run in professional studios for 24 hours a day, seven days a week they choose the lubricant with extreme care. After all, their reputation relied on the reliability of the machines. In the day when they were bought new in relatively large quantities for serious money the inclusion of a small bottle of liquid grease would be peanuts. It's only now when the odd amateur needs to lubricate the motor it seems exhorbidant. Personally I'd sooner use the right stuff than wear the motor prematurely. I've also discussed with two experienced Studer techs and they both warn against using any kind of substitute.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 11:06 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Also, Studer 800 series machines normally live cosseted in nicely heated/cooled studios. A Nagra 4.2 might have to go out into the field or might be an indoors machine, So Kudelski specified a lubricant for a very wide set of environmental conditions which could be relaxed if extremes weren't to be met. Studer specified the lubricant for their machine knowing its inevitable environment. Change to something else at your own peril as they say, but I suspect lubricants have improved since the 807 manual was written, and there may well be equivalent and better alternatives. The problem is in knowing which they are.

David
Old 15th Sep 2016, 10:47 am   #9
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Given that replacement capstan motors are like rocking-horse substances, I'd fall back on the old formula of getting it the way the maker says it should be.
Old 21st Sep 2016, 7:27 am   #10
Linnovice
Hexode

My sentiments entirely Ted. The liquid grease arrived last Saturday. Which, when you think about it, is terrific service. One week from order in Australia to delivery in UK. Well done Nagravox. Anyway, one capstan motor correctly lubricated for the forthcoming year (and it actually does appear to run quieter).
Mike