UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2016, 10:05 am   #1
transistor_tom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage radio safety

I'm about to get started on refurbishing a vintage transistor radio I found. It's a Kolster Brandes Rhapsody Deluxe http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolster...dy_deluxe.html
It's from around 1960 and is battery powered, with no tubes [sic].

I'm concerned about the safety of refurbishing it, I've read online there are multiple dangers in old valve radios (such as mercury in the valves), but also the dangers in transistor radios, such as radon gas, radioactive paint, and the use of beryllia (Beryllium Oxide) in parts. One such site mentioning this is http://www.bvws.org.uk/405alive/tech/safety.html

So I'm looking for any information on whether this exact radio (or similar from the sixties) has potential hidden dangers in it, and what to do if it does.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 10:31 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Vintage radio safety

There are no significant environmental dangers with radios of this type. The biggest risk factor is the leaded solder.

Some mains powered valve radios can contain asbestos or toxic chemicals, but the risk is still small. The biggest danger by far is the presence of high voltages.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 10:54 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Welcome, Tom.

Yes, I agree, this is probably about as innocuous as old radios get. Just wash your hands after you use leaded solder (not that I do, to be honest), and there's nothing to worry about IMHO.

If you get a taste for working on ancient TVs (with mains-derived EHT) though, that would be an entirely different matter.

Microwave ovens are also potentially lethal if you don't do your homework before delving in.

N.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 11:03 am   #4
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Some of the vapours given off while soldering are not pleasant to inhale, try and work in a ventilated area, or don't inhale!
Old 12th Apr 2016, 11:10 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

True. If you tend towards being asthmatic, an open window is probably a must.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 11:16 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

All I can say is that I've been repairing Radios, valved and transistor, mains, battery and car stereos for 45 years, using leaded solder and all the othe items involved, plus, for the last 14 years my workshop is in a cellar, and, apart from the odd shock from touch ing a live terminal, and the odd slight burnt finger(s) from hot items, have never suffered any serious problems as a result.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 11:22 am   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

In general, you wouldn't find valves with mercury in in a domestic radio, they'd tend to be installed in high-power amplifiers as rectifiers. Some stabiliser valves have small amounts of radio-active gas or radio-active nickel isotope in the electrodes to kick-start or assist the stabilising action but in both the above cases you'd have to break them and continue to be careless and unlucky to come to any harm- like getting glass in your skin.

Things like CoSHH and RoHS have made everyone a bit cautious, some would say precious, about old electronics and many other things but a battery transistor set is about as innocuous as they come. As mentioned, good ventilation is wise while soldering as old flux and PVC or rubber insulation fumes can get unpleasantly acrid.

Otherwise, use common sense, relax and enjoy the hobby!
Old 12th Apr 2016, 11:26 am   #8
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
It's from around 1960 and is battery powered, with no tubes.
No British radio ever had tubes, but older ones may use valves. You may find tubes in American radios.

Radioactive paint may be found on old military equipment - don't lick the front panel!

Beryllium oxide can be found inside RF power transistors and some high power valves, but as long as the device remains intact there is no danger.

I have never heard of radon being a problem for old radios. Some gas-filled voltage regulators may use a little radioactive gas to ensure reliable starting in the dark, but these will by now have lost most of their radioactivity. Nothing to worry about while intact, and probably nothing to worry about even if broken. In most cases they will have the standard international symbol for radioactivity, and may even say which isotope is present.

Some items may have cadmium plating on metal parts. OK if undamaged, but in the presence of moisture this can form a white powdery oxide (looks like a layer of mould) which is toxic. Avoid touching it, and be careful about cleaning it. In any case, you should always wash your hands after dabbling with electronics.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 11:49 am   #9
transistor_tom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Another question, I'm a complete novice and looking for a basic guide to all the radio components and how it all connects up. Specifically, looking at this image http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/ra...uxe_272544.jpg, what's the large horizontal tube in the top?
Old 12th Apr 2016, 12:35 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

I think you may be confusing tube with tubular. Some Foreign (and lazily translated domestic) publications refer to Valves as Tubes. The tubular object in the Radiomuseum illustration is a Ferrite Aerial, common in transistor radios, and later valve ones too.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 12:45 pm   #11
peter_sol
Octode

Tom, that is the ferrite rod aerial (it has the tuned aerial coils on it and picks up the signal)
Old 12th Apr 2016, 1:21 pm   #12
transistor_tom
Retired Dormant Member

I can't work out how to quote multiple users, but thank you to everyone here that's posted - it's really helped me out with my first attempt at getting into the hobby!

I'll post some photos when it's been restored!
Old 12th Apr 2016, 1:36 pm   #13
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Some reading.
http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ltfinding.html

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...al-faults.html

Just for clarification, USA call then tubes, UK call them valves, they are the same thing.
Old 12th Apr 2016, 2:39 pm   #14
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
that is the ferrite rod aerial
On American radio sites you may see this called a 'loopstick'. It is not a tube, but a solid cylinder of ferrite.
Old 13th Apr 2016, 8:31 am   #15
G4_Pete
Hexode

Whilst a cavalier approach can never be endorsed I think that Adam Lindsay Gordon (1833-1870) puts into context human, male and female, endevours in the following poem which is just as applicable today as in the time it was written. ( However it is sad to reflect that personal circumstances led him to take his own life)

No game was ever worth a rap
For a rational man to play
Into which no accident,no mishap
Could possibly find a way.

Pete
Old 13th Apr 2016, 9:01 am   #16
Radio Wrangler

Radioactive paint was used in wartime aircraft control panels, particularly inside instruments. It's based on Radium, which is dangerous in itself, and is what emits Radon gas.

If you don't start opening old aircraft-type instruments, you should be safe. This stuff came to public notice fairly recently. An old airfield housed the site of a large instrument repair and aircraft de-comissioning facility. They burned their waste and dumped the residue on a nearby beach. In the 60's to 80's a large housing estate was built around the beach, and then radioactive waste started to be found. Google 'Dalgety Bay' and radioactive if you're curious.

Mercury was used in a few types of high power rectifier valve, but you don't come across them much. There is, however, a significant amount of mercury in fluourescent lighting tubes, including the compact fluourescent types used as 'green' replacements for ordinary bulbs.

Inside transistors, there are trace amounts of arsenic, but it's bound up in crystal lattice structures and not on the loose.

Beryllium Oxide, beryllia, is a real risk. It can be found in high power high frequency transistors used in radio transmitters including low power but high density types in everyone's cell phones. Some types of high power transmitting valves use laarge chunks of the stuff. It's safe as it is, the danger comes if you sand, etch, grind, drill or break it. The dust, inhaled can be slowly fatal. If you don't start breaking open RF transistors and valves you'll be safe from BeO.

In a battery transistor radio, you won't find dangerous voltages. There is real danger in mains operated valve equipment of all types... worst in live-chssis designs and TV sets. People are not at risk if they take care and get mentored in how to work safely on them.

Your biggest risk of harm is if you drop it on your foot or burn yourself with a soldering iron.

Lead solder can be safely used. The campaign to get rid of it centres around lead compounds leaching out of landfill sites.

Don't breathe soldering fumes, and wash hands after handling solder, before eating.

David
Old 13th Apr 2016, 9:38 am   #17
ms660
Dekatron

Regarding Radium/Radon, if your radio workshop's in a cellar and you spend a fair amount of time there it might be prudent to do a Radon check, the NRPB used to supply a dose recorder FOC years ago, they might still do, Radon hot spot maps are available on the web.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Apr 2016, 10:05 am   #18
G4_Pete
Hexode

Industry is covered fairly well now, I used to work with both mercury and Berillium as found in analytical instruments. It is when equipment and products manufactured in different environments,times and for for different purposes moves into the domestic environment that safety implications to family becomes the prime consideration.

I have removed all aircraft instruments ,Valve photocells, lead paint etc and have my RF transistors stored away with a skull and crossbones berillium poison label on the lid as a precaution. Who knows what someone might do with them if I am not around? But it is also things like the cadium dust and solder suckers with fine flakes of solder that pose a risk indoors. Not to mention a Kelvin Bridge I reciently worked on that had the slidewire mounted on an asbestos former.

In short I might be in the Autumn of life but there is a huge responsibility to ensure that my actions dont harm my family/children which involves taking seriously all the concerns rasied in these posts.

Pete
Old 13th Apr 2016, 9:41 pm   #19
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I am pretty certain I have seen beryllia discs used on some oscilloscopes to locate/heat sink Y-output transistors.
I seem to recall beryllia is used because of its very high thermal conductivity, rather unusual to find that without high electrical conductivity, hence its suitability.
Cossor 4100 springs to mind as a possible, but not certain. I have a 4100 here, so could check.
Les.
Old 13th Apr 2016, 9:58 pm   #20
Oldcodger
Nonode

TBH- I've been soldering for nigh on 50 years and never had a problem with fumes. I've found that an ideal way of stopping dust from solder suckers is to lightly oil the tube inner after cleaning it out. Found this out by accident one night when even after cleaning out a solder sucker, it was a bit slow. By accident, we found a can of gun oil in the workshop and as it was light ( and designed for use in a possibly hot environment ) tried it. Used light oil in my sucker ever since.
But one danger the newbie might like to consider is solder flying off a springy wire if not held. Saw one bloke revalving a GPO amp have a lucky escape- spot of solder hit him in face, as soldered lead sprung up.
Closed Thread