UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2005, 9:59 pm   #1
Unregistered

Default Collaro Microgram ( historical interest )

Hi I have an old collaro Microgram which was from my Grandfather. I have no idea of age or other infomation. It has an old two pin plug. Can any one give some advise as to history age and value. I have no idea what to do with it??
thanks
wendy

Last edited by Darren-UK; 29th May 2007 at 8:52 pm. Reason: email address removed

Old 5th Apr 2005, 1:58 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Collaro Microgram,

Hi Wendy.

The Collaro Micrograms were probably the most popular of early electrical portable record players, and date from the late 1940s and early '50s. I've attached an advert from May 1948, listing "De Luxe" and Standard models - a version with automatic record changer came out a little later. It sounds as though you've not plugged yours in, which is a good thing. Applying power to old equipment after it's not been used for years can do it a lot of harm, quite apart from the risk that exposed metal parts could be "live".

It's not an especially rare item, but after all these years it would be a pity for it not to have a good home, especially if it's in nice physical condition. If it is quite like the one in the advertisement it'll only play 78 rpm records, which limits its value by comparison with some later record players (Dansette models in particular have been quite popular lately). I'd guess at a current value of about £10 - £30 or so depending on its condition. Assuming you're not wanting to keep it, you could either try to sell it on the other non-member forum here or offer it on eBay. I hope this is of some help,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0005.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	429  
Closed Thread