UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2021, 11:07 pm   #1
condense
Tetrode

Default Step Down Transformer connections

I have recently bought a 60s Wurlitzer 2510 jukebox. It has an old step down transformer with it which after testing the continuity of both windings I am planning to wire in.
The UK end is already wired (neutral to 'com' and live to '220')

I can't seem to work out which way around the US end (live/neutral) should go. The RHS (in this photo) is labelled '1' and the LHS labelled '2' so I assumed that 1 would be neutral - does anyone know if that makes sense?

I've tried looking up the company and I think they still exist but I suspect my inexperience is showing and so I hope that someone on here will know and be kind enough to help me

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	236019  
Old 16th Jun 2021, 11:40 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Step Down Transformer connections

if it's an isolating transformer then I dont suppose it matters, if it's an auto then the easiest way is to power it up and measure each terminal voltage to earth.
Old 17th Jun 2021, 3:37 am   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Wire it so that the secondary N is on the same side as the incoming mains N.

Theoretically, it shouldn't matter which way round it is wired if it is a fully isolating transformer.

If it is an auto-transformer, then it matters.
Old 17th Jun 2021, 8:10 am   #4
Rubberfingers
Pentode

First thing is to ascertain whether this is an autotransformer or an isolating transformer. With the transformer disconnected from the mains, use the lowest ohms range on a multimeter to check whether all of the terminals, including 1 and 2 show continuity to the com terminal, or whether there is continuity between 1 and 2 but not to the com terminal
Old 17th Jun 2021, 9:04 am   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

The juke box will have an isolating transformer usually with wire coded black and white , for 115 volt mains so it matters not which way round you connect your auto transformer for 240 mains . better still get yourself a fully isolated step down . Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 17th Jun 2021 at 9:19 am.
Old 17th Jun 2021, 4:22 pm   #6
condense
Tetrode

Thank you for your posts
There is continuity across the 2 sides. From the looks of it I am wondering whether it may just be better to buy a new fully isolated one

Thanks you
Old 17th Jun 2021, 4:24 pm   #7
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by condense View Post
I have recently bought a 60s Wurlitzer 2510 jukebox. It has an old step down transformer with it which after testing the continuity of both windings I am planning to wire in.

I can't seem to work out which way around the US end (live/neutral) should go. The RHS (in this photo) is labelled '1' and the LHS labelled '2' so I assumed that 1 would be neutral - does anyone know if that makes sense?

I've tried looking up the company and I think they still exist but I suspect my inexperience is showing and so I hope that someone on here will know and be kind enough to help me

thanks
Looking at the picture, it seems that there's small bits of wire still connected to the secondary terminals, with a black wire on terminal #2, so that's the way I would connect it. Your observation is correct.
On the primary side, reconnect the live side to the 240v terminal, as your mains voltage is nearer to 240v or more.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 17th Jun 2021, 5:08 pm   #8
condense
Tetrode

They seem to be a bit pricey so think I may be resurrecting this one after all…
So in terms of Kevin’s suggestion - seems like the only way to be sure. I usually avoid doing tests on AC mains like this for safety reasons.
Presumably both prongs in one hand and one on the mains earth wire and the other on 1 and 2. The one with a result should be live?
Old 17th Jun 2021, 5:12 pm   #9
condense
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
Quote:

thanks
Looking at the picture, it seems that there's small bits of wire still connected to the secondary terminals, with a black wire on terminal #2, so that's the way I would connect it. Your observation is correct.
On the primary side, reconnect the live side to the 240v terminal, as your mains voltage is nearer to 240v or more.
Dave, USradcoll1
I’m not sure I trust the black wire - I suspect both would have been black somehow and I want to be sure. The step down transformer is to 115v so I was guessing that they may have gone to 220 the other side to compensate as ideally it would be no more than 110v
Old 17th Jun 2021, 6:36 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

FWIW single phase plug wiring in the US is coloured black (and/or bare copper core) for line and white (and/or tinned copper core) for neutral.

If the TX is an auto type, one or other of the output terminals will be short to COM and therefore neutral provided that COM is neutral as described. The other output terminal will then be the 120V line.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jun 2021, 7:40 pm   #11
condense
Tetrode

Thanks Chris - that’s very helpful.
I get 0.4 R between com and point 2. This is the same as I get when I touch my prongs together. I get 1.8 R between com and point 1.
Between com and the 220v I get 3.8 R so am now fairly confident which way around it is.

Thank you all so much -
Old 17th Jun 2021, 7:55 pm   #12
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
... The step down transformer is to 115v so I was guessing that they may have gone to 220 the other side to compensate as ideally it would be no more than 110v
If they have then they've gone the wrong way. Transformer voltages are proportional to one another. So if you apply more than the nominal volts to one winding you'll get more than the nominal volts out of the other. If you put 240V into a 220V winding (about 9% more than it's designed for) then you'll get 125V out of the 115V winding (again 9% more than it's designed to give).

EDIT: Crossed with Graham.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 17th Jun 2021, 7:56 pm   #13
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Quote:
... The step down transformer is to 115v so I was guessing that they may have gone to 220 the other side to compensate as ideally it would be no more than 110v
If they have then they've gone the wrong way. Transformer voltages are proportional to one another. So if you apply more than the nominal volts to one winding you'll get more than the nominal volts out of the other. If you put 240V into a 220V winding (about 9% more than it's designed for) then you'll get 125V out of the 115V winding (again 9% more than it's designed to give).

EDIT: Crossed with Graham.

Cheers,

GJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
Dave, USradcoll1
Quote:
The step down transformer is to 115v so I was guessing that they may have gone to 220 the other side to compensate as ideally it would be no more than 110v
Using the 220v tap instead of 240 would increase the secondary voltage.

GJ, I deleted my post for a moment while I thought it through one last time
Old 18th Jun 2021, 12:12 am   #14
Silicon
Nonode

What supply voltage was your 1960s Wurlitzer designed to work on?

Apparently American mains supply voltages have increased slightly over the years.

When you first power up the amplifier, check the heater voltage getting to the valves.
This is usually more important than the HT voltage.

Adjust the transformer connections to get the best heater voltage.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:32 am   #15
condense
Tetrode

Thank you

I really appreciate that - I was thinking I needed to work it through as I may have it the wrong way around with regards to the input voltage.

Thank you - very helpful

I think the lower end of the voltage is generally preferred in order to take the pressure off of the fluorescent lighting as it is designed for 60hz. I will change to 240v and see how things go.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 10:11 am   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

Interesting about the fluoros. Makes sense if they're using traditional inductor ballast gear.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Jun 2021, 10:51 am   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

the reason I suggest measuring the secondary voltages to earth is because it's easy doing it the resistance way and get it wrong, the right and wrong way only being an ohm or so apart. Quite easy on old dirty terminals to make a mistake, whereas measuring the voltage to earth will leave no doubt.

I'm just speaking from experience with autotransformers where I've had to recently repair a batch bought from China which had miswired primaries, meaning the 115V-supplied equipment had 115V across them but 240V to earth