UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2021, 5:57 pm   #1
Sparks
Heptode

Default Telephones suitable for bathroom installation ?

Do, or did, any of these exist specifically with the idea of putting them in a bathroom or any other steamy or damp location ? The reason I ask is I've recently bought a BT Minstrel and it looks the same model as those I remember in the bathrooms of the Forte Crest Hotel (as it was then) at Manchester Airport in the mid-1990s. Strange place to see a telephone and I haven't seen a bathroom phone since but that's the history!
Old 21st May 2021, 8:23 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Telephones suitable for bathroom installation ?

I think Minstrel was Hyacinth Bucket's white slim-line push-button telephone with last number redial.

I think there was a version of the bakelite handset 164 with a leather-covered cord suitable for fish markets and open cab ranks, but I can't find the reference right now.
Old 21st May 2021, 8:31 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, for what it's worth I have always had a telephone in the bathroom. Originally a Conso Convi, which was one of the many "non approved" models that appeared in the early 1980's and latterly an Answercall Dash, which are marketed under other manufacturers guises - the Answercall Dash can be identified by the green light up keypad.

To answer your question I don't think that there were any telephones that were exclusively designed for use in a humid atmosphere, such as a bathroom, unless you include the "tropical' variants that some manufacturers produced however I suspect that "tropical' just meant that there was a mesh inserted behind the ventilation holes to prevent insects crawling inside.

One thing I can say is that the BT Vangaurd range of telephones would not be suitable for use in a bathroom as the instruction manual states that they are unsuitable for use in a Kitchen, so I would guess that, similarly, they wouldn't last long in a bathroom either.

Regards

Andrew
Old 21st May 2021, 8:49 pm   #4
Sparks
Heptode

Thankyou all. I might put the Minstrel in the bathroom and see how long it survives. It appears to be the UK equivalent of the American Trimline - I wonder if they were bathroom compatible?
Old 22nd May 2021, 6:31 am   #5
Kentode
Octode

In "Friends" Joey has a phone in his bathroom, next to the toilet, and Rachel says "Don't ever call me from THAT phone"!

I echo that sentiment.

BVWS member
Old 22nd May 2021, 11:58 am   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
In "Friends" Joey has a phone in his bathroom, next to the toilet, and Rachel says "Don't ever call me from THAT phone"!

I echo that sentiment.
In American sit-coms of that era the handset curly coards were often ridiculously long, which gave the characters the ability to move about more on the set, but I never quite worked out if they were commonly as long in real life.
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:36 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

On a business trip to Korea more than a decade ago, my hotel room in Seoul had three phones: one at the desk, one by the bed, and one in the shower room, next to the W.C.
Old 22nd May 2021, 1:17 pm   #8
Sparks
Heptode

Really long curly handset cords are a genuine option and not just for television programmes. My red 2500 in the kitchen has one such cord. The Minstrel I've bought (not got it yet) looks fairly standard so it might not reach all corners of my bathroom.
Old 22nd May 2021, 2:18 pm   #9

One of my Trimphones has a very long lead, most of it is not curly.

Old 22nd May 2021, 2:23 pm   #10
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Really long curly handset cords are a genuine option and not just for television programmes. My red 2500 in the kitchen has one such cord. The Minstrel I've bought (not got it yet) looks fairly standard so it might not reach all corners of my bathroom.
Good!

BVWS member
Old 22nd May 2021, 2:44 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

My thoughts also, Ken. If I'm in the bathroom, then I'm probably either in the shower, or already answering a more important call .....
Old 22nd May 2021, 3:14 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you really want to use a phone whilst on the throne I would suggest a small shelf upon which can be placed a mobile or cordless phone, taken in as required rather than installed.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd May 2021, 7:08 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

Indeed!

Would I really want to be holding something wet and connected to miles of wire beyond the house while I happened to be rather "well earthed"?

Besides there is the matter of the transmission of unintentional 'noises off'

David
Old 22nd May 2021, 8:57 pm   #14
Sparks
Heptode

It's just an idea and not a very serious one. Evidently at least one hotelier was more committed.
Old 22nd May 2021, 9:37 pm   #15
Hartley118
Nonode

When first travelling on business to the USA in the 1970s, I was mightily impressed with the standard fitment of the bathroom phone. It spoke of the uninterruptible character of the American business world!

It now seems to be disappearing, no doubt superseded by the mobile.

Martin
Old 22nd May 2021, 9:44 pm   #16
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I used a wall-mounted BT Statesman in my bathroom for years and never had a problem with it. I couldn't reach it from the bath or shower - just the 'throne'.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 23rd May 2021, 1:31 am   #17
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
It now seems to be disappearing, no doubt superseded by the mobile.
Disappearing along with the shaver socket. I am still a committed user of a mains only Phillishave!

Back on topic, it seems there was a time, in some parts of the world, where a phone in the bathroom might just be enough to get your hotel that coveted fifth star.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...hotel-bathroom

Personally, I don't need to answer the phone in hotel bathrooms, that's what ones entourage is paid to do ;-)

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 23rd May 2021 at 1:51 am.
Old 23rd May 2021, 6:18 am   #18
its ur aerial
Hexode

Just a thought, and I have no BT experience, but I have experienced a few nasty tingles, when installing extension phone sockets in the past, so personally, I don't think I would really fancy using a corded phone, while wallowing in the Tub, the words water, Earth and Co Op spring to mind.
Also is it not the case that any electrical equipment installed in a Bathroom that operates on more that 36 Volts, has to be compliant with Wiring Regs BS7671 ?

Ken G6HZG.

Last edited by its ur aerial; 23rd May 2021 at 6:22 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 23rd May 2021, 9:30 am   #19
Sparks
Heptode

I confess I have never tried to use a bathroom telephone; never even picked one up. Maybe they're not wired in, for the reasons Ken has given, and are dummy units for show. Or to attain the fifth star, as Rambo suggests.
Old 23rd May 2021, 8:14 pm   #20
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ur aerial View Post
Just a thought, and I have no BT experience, but I have experienced a few nasty tingles, when installing extension phone sockets in the past, so personally, I don't think I would really fancy using a corded phone, while wallowing in the Tub, the words water, Earth and Co Op spring to mind.
The only telephone I've ever had a belt from was a Trimphone. It was possible to touch the metal screw in the handset top at the same time as my earthed bedside lamp, and the ringing voltage found a way to me through it. The screw may have had to have a plastic insert over it but as a kid, it didn't last!

The later 700-series instruments had a modified earpiece with small holes in a continuous plastic face, rather than a larger hole allowing the three holes in the metal of the rocking-armature receiver insert to be touched. But I think this modification was to mitigate against static-induced charges.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread