UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2021, 8:38 pm   #1
Mr_H_RetroTech
Triode

Default EKCO U353 dropper

Evening all!

I recently acquired an EKCO U353 to be a stablemate to my PYE R33. A brief look inside indicated the U353 needs some TLC. So I resisted the urge to switch on to see what happened.

The back has no burns or damage but is slightly distorted in the area of the dropper. The case is generally in good condition with minor distortion again in the region of the dropper.

The dropper is my first concern as it is looking rather shabby - please see attached photo.

Any advice on best way to deal with the dropper? I have read about people soldering a suitable replacement resistor across the relevant terminals. But this dropper looks pretty rough to me and I'm wondering whether there is much to be done to bring some life into the radio.

Ideas anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	U353_dropper.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	235907  
Old 14th Jun 2021, 8:41 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: EKCO U353 dropper

Here's my idea. Measure it to see whether it's actually open circuit.

Always reach for the service sheet and your meter before you reach for the soldering iron.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 9:08 pm   #3
Beardyman
Hexode

Definitely with Graham on this, measure it first to see if it really is open. I've seen much worse looking droppers than yours and they've been perfectly OK. Wirewound resistors can put up with an awful lot of abuse before they give up.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 11:15 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

You might find this thread of interest and help:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=164972

As others have said, check the continuity and resistance of. each section of the dropper compared to the circuit and you may well find that it’s fine. Lots of other complements which will need replacement, as you’ll note from other threads.

Every success with the restoration.
Old 16th Jun 2021, 1:38 pm   #5
Mr_H_RetroTech
Triode

Thanks for your responses. As you might guess this is the first time I have encountered a dropper 'in the flesh', so to speak. I shall do as you suggest and take it from there.

Thanks for link, David. Most helpful as always.
Closed Thread