UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2021, 10:46 pm   #1
boy1904
Triode

Default Revox A77 won't turn on after head setup

Hello all,

Recently got all my heads relapped for my Revox A77, and for this I had to remove the headblock and all the wires associated with the heads. I took note of all connections and where they were all placed in the Revox, and replaced them upon the return of my relapped heads.

Now the Revox won't turn on, ( ie when I turn either to 7.5/3.75 ips the red light above doesn't turn on ) and I'm confused as to why. It was working perfectly before.

I've not got a lot of experience with this sort of machine so I'm at a loss as to what to do from here.

Anyone got any hints/advice?
Old 29th May 2021, 12:22 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox A77 won't turn on after head setup

Is the mains link at the back of the chassis still engaged? Is the supply to the autostop lamp pinched or shorted? If the latter, the 21v fuse will have blown.

Last edited by Ted Kendall; 29th May 2021 at 12:27 am.
Old 29th May 2021, 9:09 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Is the A77 back in its metal or wooden case ? In the top corner of the metal/wooden case are 2 metal prongs/pins that fit into 2 female sockets on the rear of the A77, these are a safety switching interlock for the mains voltage (the mains link that Ted references).

If running the A77 out of its case you have to provide a suitable link connection to the female sockets (these will be at mains voltage potential).

If the A77 is in its case or running out of its case with linked connection then the Remote connector also has to be fitted for the unit to power up.

David
Old 29th May 2021, 10:32 am   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Can I just clarify David's advice above? The interlock he mentions (two prongs on the rear of the case) are not linked - you need to insert two 4mm plugs (insulated) into the sockets on the chassis. If you connect them together as seems obvious (as I did once) there will be a loud bang...
Old 29th May 2021, 11:24 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes "linked connection" reference was incorrect description.

This is one great aspect of the Forum, erroneous/unclear information can be corrected/clarified by other readers, such as Glyn in this case.

If using the A77 out of its case then two 4mm insulated plugs (such as Banana plugs) are just pushed into the female sockets.

David
Old 29th May 2021, 2:42 pm   #6
boy1904
Triode

Thank you all. The issue was the wooden panel wasn't in place, didn't realise it had to be to power it.

Old 29th May 2021, 9:38 pm   #7
MeerKat
Hexode

I fell into that trap as well, linked them together and popped the fuse, good job it was a 3 amp jobbie.

Not all banana plugs are ideal, I had to twist one of mine to get a good connection.

We live and learn!

Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 31st May 2021, 7:27 am   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy1904 View Post
Thank you all. The issue was the wooden panel wasn't in place, didn't realise it had to be to power it.

That is good news.

David
Closed Thread