UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2019, 11:29 pm   #1
Kevmitchell
Diode

Default Watchman FD-500B

Hi,

I bought a fascinating piece of kit today, a Sony Watchman FD500-B complete with AM/FM and a black and white TV (4").

Problem is it's analogue and I'm not sure how to get the TV to receive a viable Digital signal.

The other problem is it's boxed with the original instructions etc but no leads. I appreciate it takes batteries but can I use any AC cable that has a Sony connection? Ditto the DC - can I get a suitable transformer still?

Any help appreciated,

Best,

Kev Mitchell
Old 27th Nov 2019, 1:27 am   #2
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Watchman FD-500B

I just looked at the instructions for the USA version of this set. Assuming it's similar, you can connect it directly to the mains by plugging a mains lead into the AC IN socket on the back. Check your mains voltage is the same as stated on the unit, then if you already have a mains lead that fits, go ahead and try it. I expect it's the usual figure of 8 shape connector. You should be able to find a suitable lead for testing purposes. They are used on Sky digiboxes, portable radios, cassette / CD players etc.

If you can't find a mains lead that fits, post a photo of the socket on the back of the Sony.

The 12v DC IN socket can be used with a suitable power supply, but from the American manual, the centre pin is negative and the outside is positive. This is the reverse of nearly all modern mains adaptors. You'll need to find one with reversible polarity or modify one yourself.

Once you can apply power to the unit, you can then see if it works. The radio should still work. The TV should display snow on the screen. At this point, you will need something with an RF modulator to get pictures on it. This could be an older Sky Digibox, a Freeview box with a modulator either built-in or separate, a video recorder or game console with modulator. You'll also need a suitable aerial lead. It looks like this TV uses a 3.5mm headphone socket for an external aerial so you'll also need to buy or make a lead or adaptor to connect it to a normal RF outlet.

If this sounds too complicated, just try to power on the unit and see if it appears to work - we can go from there.
Old 27th Nov 2019, 2:46 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A cracking model with sound that closely approaches Hi-Fi and I'm not kidding!

The mains lead is the standard 'Figure 8' probably the most popular mains connector ever. The B in the model number stands for 'Britain'with it's 240V supply so you should be OK plugging it in.

The pictures are cracking but my so called upgrade camera is nothing like as good as my previous one as far as pictures are concerned and does not give credit to the sparkling picture produced on the Sony. It's the same old story..

Signal is provided via a modulator with it's output clipped to the rod aerial. You could use an old video recorder for a signal source but I believe there are a number of cheap stand alone modulators now available. A quality receiver. It is very likely to work OK unless someone has damaged it trying to connect it up incorrectly.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony FD500B (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	194475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony FD500B (2).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	194476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony FD500B (3).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	194477  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 11:29 pm   #4
Kevmitchell
Diode

Thanks Hamid and John for some useful information. I've got a similar power cable so I'll try that.
I'm not familiar with the modulator, is there a model I could try?
Closed Thread