UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Dec 2017, 5:31 pm   #21
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Re: Vintage Sets

I took Graham's advice and duly changed the 4.7k resistor on the cathode of the o/p valve, I now have audio at a decent level. The resistor that was in there originally had a yellow body but no band and only a weak purple tip, it did read extremely high and that was the reason I assumed it could have been a 4.7k resistor, but there, I was indeed wrong, never mind. Been patching the loudspeaker cone up, had a tear in it and used toilet paper and pva glue. just got to make the frame of it look better. Next will be the cabinet. And thanks Mike T for that info on the loose coupling, rather odd I must say.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 25th Dec 2017, 5:47 pm   #22
ms660
Dekatron

Here's a picture of one from another thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&d=1261351040

Lawrence.
Old 25th Dec 2017, 6:10 pm   #23
Station X

Well done.

As soon as I looked at your circuit 4.7k stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm used to seeing resistors of 200 to 300R in this position. So I looked at the data sheet and did the calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Tech View Post
I took Graham's advice and duly changed the 4.7k resistor on the cathode of the o/p valve, I now have audio at a decent level. The resistor that was in there originally had a yellow body but no band and only a weak purple tip, it did read extremely high and that was the reason I assumed it could have been a 4.7k resistor, but there, I was indeed wrong, never mind.
Best wishes

Ken

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 2:40 pm   #24
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Folks

Tweaked the I.F. cans and worked back to the front end, I now have BBC Essex coming through ok, the audio seems a bit distorted though, not sure if this is the loud speaker or something a little more sinister but we will see, I am going to work through and check all the voltages again and make notes of what they are.

Best wishes

Ken
Closed Thread