UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2016, 6:59 pm   #1
BASSMAN
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage Roberts radio volume.tuning/etc. Knob silver covers

I am interested in starting a small collection of vintage Roberts radios, as they seem plentiful and reasonably cheap. Many on eBay/etc. seem perfectly good both electrically and cosmetically except for the Achilles Heel of having lost the silver coloured caps. Obviously the glue goes, they fall off, and are lost. From what I can see on this site :

(1) Roberts do not stock them.
(2) There seems no after market supplier.
(3) People resort to cannibalizing a second radio for parts.

However, many of the threads/posts on here on this subject are a few years old and I wondering if there were any new updates/new ideas.

(1) Is is possible to buy them anywhere ?
(2) What do people do ? Make their own ?

It seems a shame that many radios are missing this quite small part. Sadly, if one or more are missing it really detracts from the appeal of these radios.

Any help/comments appreciated.

Last edited by BASSMAN; 6th Dec 2016 at 7:13 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 6th Dec 2016, 8:05 pm   #2
BASSMAN
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage roberts radio volume.tuning/etc. Knob silver covers

If I have to resort to making replacements myself, could the experts on here please tell me :

(1) What are they made from ? I suspect Aluminium.
(2) What gauge would it most likely be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th Dec 2016, 8:25 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've not heard of anyone making reproductions for these. Demand seems modest for most of the sets that use them - the Rambler, R505, R606 etc. - and, while the R707 at least has its enthusiasts, it sold so well back in the day that there are still plenty of examples around. As yet, then, I expect a missing cap or two tends to push a set toward being used for spares or relegated to rough duty, unless it's in exceptional condition otherwise which might result in another radio being cannibalised to complete it. I noted recently replacement brights being offered for the Hacker Mini-Herald, which uses something similar, but on inspection they were just the simple dished discs as used on the Roberts R200, early Hacker RP10 etc., which a few vendors have been making and selling for a while now.

Paul
Old 6th Dec 2016, 8:49 pm   #4
wireless_john
Heptode

Another possibility, which I have done with R200 is to look through boxes of knobs at swap meets etc. until you find a completely unrelated knob which uses the same size insert!

I was doing that at Wootton Bassett on Sunday looking for inserts for the knobs on an Ever Ready Sky Master. No joy this time but sooner or later... !

John
Old 6th Dec 2016, 9:08 pm   #5
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Roberts are still able to supply knobs for the R900. I am assuming you mean the volume and tuning knobs not the silver tops for the push buttons. I have managed to get the tops off the R900 knobs but it took ages and involved drilling, prying and copious amounts of IPA. The only real source is scrap sets if you can find one with good brights. They do seem to be made of aluminium though. I can't help you with the gauge metal as I can't measure that thin.

Good luck with your quest and if you do manage to final a source or are able to manufacture them them I'm sure you would have many takers, me included.

Graham
Old 6th Dec 2016, 10:25 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

There are suppliers of laser-cut profiles at very reasonable prices who could undoubtedly do appropriately sized aluminium discs. Achieving the spun effect would require a bit of ingenuity, but could be done by fixing the disc to a drill shaft and running it against abrasive paper, for example.
Old 6th Dec 2016, 11:15 pm   #7
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

This very topic was discussed here some time ago.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 7th Dec 2016, 9:43 am   #8
BASSMAN
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Frank. I had seen that thread, but it was 8 years old and I was hoping a new source of old/new trims might have been found.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 10:12 am   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcvey View Post
This very topic...
Not really, plain dished brass brights for early Roberts / Hacker / Dynatron transistor portables are one thing and these aluminium caps with sides and spun effect tops are a different and more demanding challenge altogether.

Paul
Old 7th Dec 2016, 12:37 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Brass "chinese hat" domes regularly appear on ebay/auction sites. Or use thick gauge cooking foil (gloss on one side/matt on the other) and cut them out using a coin as a template. There is sufficient malleability to smooth them down over any domed or flat topped moulding.
Old 19th Dec 2016, 2:08 pm   #11
BASSMAN
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage Roberts radio volume.tuning/etc. Knob silver covers

Thank you all for your replies. With the help of the above, and other information I have gleaned I have come to the conclusion, that if possible, only purchase a Roberts :

(1) That has ALL the correct knobs.
(2) Has an undamaged Grille.
(3) Has got an aerial.

The hassle of finding replacements/and their cost (unless you own a shed full o f spares) for the above does not seem worth the bother.

The difference in cost of these on the auction sites between a radio with the full set of the above, and bits missing is generally very little.

Anyway, Hackers have also now raised my interest, but that is another thread entirely... Thanks again for all the replies.
Closed Thread